[kj] Peel's Collection...

culturevirus culturevirus at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 08:34:51 EST 2004

I don't know if this has been posted already. I pulled it off Usenet. It's from the Independent.

By Terry Kirby, Chief Reporter

Published : 06 November 2004

When John Peel died last week, millions mourned the loss of a national
treasure and one of the most influential people in popular music. But
only now is the full extent of Peel's extraordinary legacy of music
and words emerging. And there is widespread uncertainty about how to
preserve it.

Three different books, by and about him, are being planned, while the
British Library is waiting to hear whether he has left them his vast
record collection - probably the biggest in private hands.

At the BBC, talks are expected to take place about releasing more
collections from the sessions recorded by artists for his Radio 1
programme. And, as tributes from all over the world continue to flood
into the BBC in memory of the DJ, who died from a heart attack in
Peru, aged 65, a series of broadcasts and memorial events is also
being planned to celebrate his contribution to popular music.

Tonight, BBC 2 is screening a 90-minute tribute, filmed in the past
few days, featuring contributions from, among others, the DJ Jo
Whiley, musicians Nick Cave and Johnny Marr and the football pundit
Alan Hansen. Radio 1 is also preparing a retrospective programme on
Peel, who was with the station from its inception in 1967.

Hundreds of people are expected to attend the DJ's funeral at St
Edmundsbury Cathedral in Bury St Edmunds on Friday. The cathedral has
capacity for 900 and the service will be relayed outside should crowds
of mourners be unable to get in. It is unclear whether a further
memorial service will take place, but plans are being drawn up for at
least one tribute concert featuring some major artists, although no
names have been confirmed.

A spokesman for Radio 1 said: "The response has been incredible and
worldwide. He left a huge gap in our hearts and minds.''

The fate of Peel's massive collection of vinyl, CDs and tapes from all
over the world, containing everything from obscure thrash metal bands
to African chants and the early work of many artists who went on to
become household names, remains unclear.

Several years ago, Peel discussed the idea of leaving his collection
to the British Library, making it potentially the biggest acquisition
of the national sound archive. But it is believed he wanted some kind
of financial recompense and the matter was never resolved. Until his
will is made public, it is not known whether he has made the bequest
nor if he attached any conditions.

If the collection is put up for sale, there would be considerable
public pressure for it to be kept intact for the nation by the
library; an American radio company is reported to have already bid $1m
(£539,000) for it.

Clive Selwood, Peel's manager, said: "John spoke to a number of
interested parties, including the British Library, but we will have to
wait on the will and to see what Sheila [Peel's widow] wants to do. I
think John saw it as possibly a pension for his family.''

Peel had been contracted to write his autobiography for Transworld for
a reported £1.6m. But there are conflicting impressions of how much he
had completed and whether it is publishable. Mr Selwood said: "He had
done between a quarter and a third and he was ready to crack on with
it.''

Andy Kershaw, Peel's friend and fellow DJ, is less confident. He said:
"He did quite a bit and then lost it on the computer. He told me in
the summer that he hadn't even got to the bit where he went to
America. I don't think he had done much at all.''

A more realistic idea is a book of collected writings. Over four
decades, Peel wrote for everything from the underground magazines of
the Sixties, such as Oz, music newspapers including Disc and Sounds,
magazines such as Punch, newspapers and, more recently, the Radio
Times. Although a great deal was about music, he increasingly wrote
about family life and other activities, including the Isle of Man TT
races for a motorcycling magazine.

Kershaw said: "Peel was an absolutely brilliant writer on all sorts of
subjects and had a wonderful turn of phrase. It would be a great
book." One major publisher has already canvassed one of Peel's closest
friends about editing such a book, while Transworld said: "Nothing has
been decided. We might consider a book of part autobiography, part
collected writings.''

One book which is certain to appear is a 60,000-word unauthorised
biography - condemned as "tacky" by one Peel associate - being written
by the rock writer Mick Wall, who knew Peel. It is due to be published
by Orion later this month, in time for the Christmas market. But the
Undertones, whose 1978 hit "Teenage Kicks" was the DJ's favourite
record, have refused to re- release the song in time for the Christmas
market, saying they do not wish to cash in on what would be a certain
hit.

For the time being, both Home Truths, for Radio 4, and Peel's Radio 1
show, are being presented by stand-ins, and no decisions have been
taken about their future. The Radio 1 spokesman said: "We want to take
time to consider how his legacy, in particular that of introducing new
music, can be preserved within Radio 1.''

THE LEGACY

The record collection: At least 40,000 albums on vinyl and CD,
innumerable singles and tapes. British Library may be beneficiary, but
family may want to sell.

The Peel sessions: Recorded by artists obscure and famous for his
Radio 1 shows. A lot has been released by the BBC in the past, nothing
recently. BBC is considering what to do.

The writings: Four decades of columns and articles could be a portrait
of changing times. Considered by at least two publishers.

The autobiography: Peel is said to have written up to a third of a
book commissioned by Transworld for a reported £1.6m. How much is
usable is unclear.

The biographies: One unauthorised version due out by Christmas. No
approach yet to the Peel family about an official one.

The 'Home Truths' archive: BBC are not ruling out an "audio-book" of
the Radio 4 show, which won several awards and a whole new audience
for Peel's self-deprecating style.

My comment: John's record collection worth £540,000? Double it I would
say, maybe even more if it was split up and auctioned.

The National Sound Archive should by it to be presevered for the
nation...

I am culturevirus