[kj] OT: Pirating of new U2 release

Patrick Davies Patrick.Davies at subsea7.com
Wed Nov 10 05:05:23 EST 2004

Fair comment - I used to have an agenda that would stop me listening to
certain bands, etc. Then I got into Throbbing Gristle & bit by bit, all
that rubish went out the window - it did nothing more than hold me back.

Yup! Ive got some real embarrassing sh*t in my collection if I was
trying to be part of someone elses gang! I agree with your point 100%
and readily admit to being guilty many a time.

You know, why is it a problem that they have music business funding?
Wouldn't it be good if KJ had anything like U2's budget? I'd like to see
that & see how well it could be put to work.

I suppose I never bought into the sex drugs and rocknroll hedonistic
lifestyle that was a result of privilege. A keith moon was legendary
because that was who he was, not as a result of being a spoilt bstrd
high on drugs bankrolled by people living in misery buying into some
mythical dream. I was probably not as extreme in my lifestyle as some
people here but there's sections of my youth I cant remember thanks to
the over excess. I changed that and so I am very cynical when someone is
living a lifestyle on the back of false dreams.

In comparison I digged the Paul Daniels' character moment when he saw
Sting's charachter as the bellboy in Quadraphenia(yeah I know it's a
film but it serves a purpose!). That's what I didn't want to be - I
didn't want to be living a duality living it up at night in lager
listening to what's the grooviest rock shit maaaan and then being
something else during the day. At that moment of my life U2 personified
that and in that sense became evil incarnate(actually that is too grand
a description) and will always probably be so. U2 of course are totally
irrelevant, it's that moment that is important to me, so I suppose U2
serve a purpose as they do to others in other ways.

At that time we were fighting to get local bands somewhere to play, we
were struggling to learn how to work Pa's etc - friends were committing
suicide and heroin was suddenly in vogue........... and some c*nt on
telly was telling 'me' there was no stage while revelling in the
lifestyle that 'the stage' brought.

ade666

ipat

: )