[kj] ot: Jah Wobble's English Roots Band

Patrick Davies Patrick.Davies at subsea7.com
Wed Nov 10 04:24:15 EST 2004

Interesting question!

Having tried so much to play musical instruments but to no avail, I
possibly couldn't step out and say ~you are not worthy~ [possibly in
that there's always a time to break a rule] so im in awe in anyone who
can play and goes off and delves into other 'styles' or influences.

At the same time, I don't really spend too much time looking into other
peoples lives so I can't comment on what Wobbles motives, influences or
purposes are. I am ready to accept that maybe you know stuff that would
infer the accusation of 'manufacture' having validity. However I will
ponder on whether it is possible to 'maufacture' ones self as a
musician.

To me, when I listen to Turn To Red (as an example), Youths bass is
individual and one of the factors missing from later kj material which
will always - imho - keep it inferior to the early stuff. I find the
same with Wobble in that there he was doing some weird English roots
stuff but I could picture him on the stage on that first PiL tour. Just
as people can refer to Geordie's guitar through to the likes of Devoto
or Johnny Marr, the sound is individual as they carve out their own
route in the myriad of influences that see many just blend into the
blandness.

I was listening first thing to Green Days American Idiot this morning
and while its ok, its already become indistinctive amongst the plethora
of 'ok' bands. I found myself quickly scanning through the list and
sticking on a 999 from 1978. Distinct and invigorating - its my day and
I demand something better than ok.

I would accept that I didn't listen to wibble wobble over the years as I
didnt see the distinction between his dub and the dub I was listening to
from On U Sound. That may or may not have been down to my prejudice,
I'll have to give it a deeper look, but I did make choices that made me
over look the boy until recently, in a different way I made a choice
back in 81 to overlook U2 as they were an irrelevance in the journey I
was making. Then again, a work or art is timeless and it doesn't matter
if I pick up on something straight away or twenty years later, its what
I get from it that surely counts.

Food for thought...

iPat