[kj] O/T Pere Ubu

GregSlawson at aol.com GregSlawson at aol.com
Mon Nov 8 07:49:34 EST 2004

Just went to see the legendary Minutemen/Firehose/Iggy Pop/Jane's Addiction/Schooly D bassist Mike Watt in Boston. Small gig--less than 40 people, due to the World Series. Who should show up in the audience but David Thomas, leader of Pere Ube (his current band was playing next door). I reached up in the sky and tapped his huge shoulder, trying to indroduce myself and thank him for his long career in music. When I asked, "Are you Dave", he barely nodded, turned around, and then walked out of the club. (Of course, he retured after the show to talk to the legendary Mike Watt).I've heard in the past he's a strange guy--he walked out of a radio interview in Cleveland (where he's from) that my friend was conducting. Also saw him perform in the early 80s in Cleveland, and his big fat parents were in the audience!