[kj] pTv & lug 'oles

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 07:44:24 EST 2004

Yeah I agree completely and know exactly what you mean.  But I am telling
you the most difficult thing to do will be practicing with your band with
earplugs...BUT..it is probably much more important to use them in practice
situations as opposed to gigs.  And the reason is that your situation for
practicing (typically) is a small room with everyone facing one another.  So
what this creates is this wall of noise.  there is nowhere for the sound to
go except onto one another.  Bass player can't hear himself he turns up,
then the guitarist, the singer on and on.  You will do more damage at
practice then playing shows (unless you are seeing Motörhead ;)) because of
the closed quarters as oposed to a open bar with other bodies absorbing some
of the sound also..  what I did was play the first song with one ear exposed
to get the sound and volume.  Then plug up.  My ears are bad but after 12
years of being in a touring band my ears could be a lot worse.
Plugs have improved over the years.  And do not get plugs designed for
gunfire because they do not soften the sound until it is to late.  They are
not made for constant sound deadening.  Just intermittent.

All I can really say is experiment with plugs and learn to get used to them.
  You will enjoy more years of great music.  I saw the Killing Joke show
last year and the plugs I had were comfortable enough and did not squash the
holy harp sound.  So the show was much more enjoyable.

Chris