[kj] Matt Stagger Band post & (OT) election thoughts

antoni at clara.net antoni at clara.net
Tue Nov 2 17:19:00 EST 2004

http://www.misera.net/gathering/board/messages/13949.html

Re: Mat Stagger 1978 gig(s)

Posted by Idiot Wind on November 02, 2004 at 19:14:35: (81.155.13.163)

: Mat Stagger played Acklam Hall,London
: 11.8.78 together with Sons of Jah and
: Prag VEC.

They played a West Kensington Pub Gig a few times. Pub was in a side road off Addison Road W11 south of Shepherd's Bush roundabout near Olympia.
Saw Big Paul there for sure . Huge Sound. Stagger would get down near the audience and intimidate people in his black leather hat and braided/beaded locks. Scary to some but a nice cat indeed. Can't recall Jaz' contribution..with the tiny little weedy Korg he had...insignificant if he was there at all. Don't think Stagger thought much of him at time either.
Had the seeds of the future but Stagger was into control of his music..again something Jaz would mimic. Maybe suppressed the Korg sound. Certainly featured a bit more in KJ original recordings, when the went to Mark Lusardi who produced many 'punk' bands at time. Too much gratituitous 'ippie bashing and violence and not wanted in this quiet backwater.
Maybe Jaz' stole Stagger's antics? Undoubtedly, as never had an original idea in his life.
Saw Wreckless Eric and an early Ian Dury Gig there. Loads of bands when PubRock was big. Not too many 'punk' bands. It was a well known place at the time as a good and popular venue. Bit out of way and Notting Hill and catchment area went upmarket, and it declined for diverse reasons probably. Still there now as a gastro-pub, I think.
Anyone ever asked Jaz about his role here?

... and on the football front, it looks like the Daily Mirror got it right yesterday with their Pascal Cygan reference ( http://home.clara.net/antoni/49ers.JPG ) !!!

Hopefully when I wake up in the morning, the world will be a much better place ... I've been to the US three times (1994, 1996, 1997) and I bloody loved it.

Gawd alone knows what will happen to America's standing if the thief is re-elected and, if legitimately, it will make Radiohead's album title sound a bit silly.

Personally, I can't wait for Hank's "Shock And Awe" tour in January 2005 ... I'm sure I will enjoy it more with Dubya consigned to history. Exactly how large would the US budget deficit be in 2008 if you have another 4 years of Bush ... the Republicans would probably be only too happy to hand over the reigns then.

Regards,

Antoni

* http://home.clara.net/antoni/ *