[kj]A question about Prague

Thomas Kennedy tkennedy1999 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 28 21:09:53 EDT 2004

<Sorry, too much information I know, but it's a
<sensitive topic with me.

not to mention it's the worst fucking beer in the U.S.....

Tom.

Jiri <unspeakable at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
You can definitely go to the Czech Republic for a year
without a job, but you might check to see if you need
a visa (I think you might for that long a stay). I've
stayed for a few months at a time and seem to have
avoided a visa, but my father's a Czech citizen, so
that may have eased things. I would HIGHLY recommend
it. Prague's a very fun town, and it's fairly simple
access to a lot of other great places in Europe.

I second Pat's praise, but to clarify, Budvar didn't
sell its name to the yanks--nor likely would it ever,
even for a massive load of cash--nor did it sell the
name to Anheuser-Busch, which lifted the "Budweiser"
name through good old-fashioned theft, (or is it
sampling?). A-B is based in St. Louis, a river city in
the middle of the U.S. Its founder (and namesake)
Busch was traveling through Bohemia and Bavaria in the
1870s when he found Budvar (or Budweiser as the
Germans call(ed) it)-style beer raved about. Knowing
there were loads of German immigrants in St. Louis at
the time, he decided to try to make a similar beer in
the St. Louis market and call it Budweiser.

When A-B expanded its horizons and eyed global markets
in the first half of the 20th century, suddenly Budvar
and A-B were clashing over the name. Trademark
disputes have ensued in almost every country where one
might want to profit from selling beer. Budvar is
called "Czechvar" in the U.S. (and A-B, with its
shake-down tactics and stranglehold on most
distributors, keeps it out of most locations), and
A-B's brew has to go by "Bud" or "Anheuser-Busch B" or
other comical names in various countries.

Sorry, too much information I know, but it's a
sensitive topic with me.

--- Patrick Davies