[kj] remixes and OT Stranglers

Rob's Arse gathering@misera.net
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:38:10 -0800 (PST)

I think the last great Stranglers album was the Raven.
Meninblack and La Folie had their moments and some of Feline was good (acou=
stic guitars v synth drums was a great idea).
I have trawled up and down this land for the Stranglers over the years but =
I became increasing frustrated by the blandness of their output which I put=
 down to John Ellis. he's gone and now they are good again.

For what it's worth, I though that Ten was a great album.

--- Alexander Smith <vassifer@earthlink.net> wrote:

"Hugh's departure may even have=C2=A0been their salvation as I consider=20
their tenth and last studio outing with him (inventively titled 10)=20
to=C2=A0probably be their weakest."

As weak as TEN and DREAMTIME inarguably were, to suggest that the band=20
are in any way better off without Hugh Cornwell *HURTS ME IN MY VERY=20
SOUL!*  While I'm *ENTIRELY* digging NORFOLK COAST (courtesy of my=20
iPod, in those brief instances when I'm allowed out of the house), the=20
Stranglers just don't seem the same without Hugh. What I've always=20
adored about the band was its entirely distinctive and virtually=20
inimitable chemistry. Who could replicate JJ's signature bass? Who=20
could replace Dave's keyboards? Similarly, subtracting Hugh's vocals=20
and HUGELY UNDERRATED guitar playing (such restraint!) dealt a huge=20
blow to the band. But, goddamn if the new album doesn't come as close=20
as can be. I'm still naively holding out hope that Hugh will re-join=20
the fold....if not only for a solitary performance (please make it=20
so,....and record it for chrissakes!)

A Killing Joke/Stranglers double bill would be a life-affirming event,=20
don't you think? Have they ever toured together? What have they to say=20
about one another? I remember Raven extolling their merits back in the=20
day. Curious.

Alexinblack ininblack NYCinblack