[KJ] Some good news [OT]/pregnancy

Alexander Smith gathering@misera.net
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:24:59 -0500

Belated congratulations, Dub. That's excellent news! Jesus, 10=20
lbs?!?!?!?! That's quite a snapper (I believe that's the right=20
expression, no?)

As many of you might remember, my wife and I are expecting one of our=20
own shortly. We had a bit of a bump in the road in the last few weeks=20
when she was diagnosed with Cholestasis....a somewhat rare condition=20
wherein the liver fails to meet the demands being put on it from all=20
the hormonal changes (which manifests itself by maddening=20
itching....all over -- soles of the feet, forehead,  writsts,=20
everywhere!) We had a battery of upsetting blood tests to determine the=20=

problem, and we now goto the hospital twice a week for fetal=20
monitorings and injections of Vitamin K (to bolster the liver). They've=20=

also insisted on inducing the delivery a few weeks earlier than=20
initially projected (when things go wrong with Cholestasis, it usually=20=

occurs late in the game, and they're trying to pre-empt that). We're=20
looking at April 5th or 6th now (whereas before we were aiming at April=20=

19th or 20th) .Everything *SHOULD* be alright, now that we have a=20
fuckin' soccer team of doctors on the case, but it's still been=20
exceptionally scary and unpleasant.  In any event, the baby's progress=20=

has been absolutely fine so far, so once again, everything should be=20
fine. He/she (we don't know the gender) is alright at about six or=20
seven pounds, and we'll be in our 38th week when they induce, which is=20=

long enough for the development to have fully matured.

In any case, please think positively for us.  I wouldn't wish this type=20=

of stress on anyone.

Big Lovin',

Yer Faithful NYC correspondent......Alex in Very Snowy NYC.