[kj] Potential Heresy

fluwdot at earthlink.net fluwdot at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 30 11:05:39 EDT 2004

thanks for passing that along ale x. "too much blood" does have some element of geordie circa
Fire Dances.
technically that "element" is a "clean" tone embellished with chorus and delay. those two
effects will make most melodic or arpeggiated licks sound geordie esque.
wonder if anyone else cares to add other odd sources of fire dances era geordie esque tone
like this stones ditty?

anyway, did you notice the bass on "too much blood" has some of youth's disco sound and
feel as well? i quite like it

since the subject is up (funk disco rock stuff), it has been on my mind lately as i have been
digging through old records locating funk/disco/rock gems of the late 70's era. unfortunately,
due to the bad rep that disco got from mainstream culture via the disco bonfire events, general
racism and village people etc, the influence of disco/funk has not received it's due respect in
the collective conscience, so many of the disco attempts by rock and jazz bands of that era
are underrated. but i must admit, surprising, to liking much of it. take out the hi hat on those
records and have the drummer play burundi drums and you have one hell of a sound. as kJ
fans already know.

lately there has been the resurgence of this disco influence (rapture, stellastar..etc.) but i am
still waiting for the sound to be done just right again. i.e. with burundi drums, cavernous
howling twang guitar and some jovially demented vocalist.

anyone know of a band that fits that description?