[kj] Crowley/Coleman/Gurdjieff

god botherer acroastic at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 15:01:56 EDT 2004

I became very interested in Crowley many years ago. I read Liber 777, The
Book Of The Law, Aha, etc. and learned a lot. I also read about Crowley's
participation in the Golden Dawn and beyond. I recognised that he must have
been an extraordinary man - highly intelligent, gifted, extremely
knowledgeable, but I also learned of the many wounded people - even dead
people - he left in his wake, and I found that I could not accept some of
his practices. I also questioned where following the labyrinthine path down
which studying the correspondences and Gematria was actually leading me.

So many people have warned against reading The Book Of The Law - including
Crowley himself - that it can not be paranoid superstition to refer to such
admonitions. As for Gurdjieff recognising something unclean in Crowley, I am
merely paraphrasing Bennett's autobiography.

Let's be cool.

I do not regard myself as qualified to judge Crowley - or indeed Gurdjieff.
Both men were vastly superior to me in all sorts of ways. But if someone of
Gurdjieff's standing took the angle he did on Crowley then I have to take
note.

And what is one to make of Jaz's branding of Crowley as 'a very dubious
character'? This from someone who went into Crowley fairly deeply, I
believe.

The case remains open for me on Crowley, but I fear I shall never really
understand what he was all about. And is it all that important anyway?

As for the Buddha, I sense that following his teachings is more likely to
bring me to happiness and make the world a better place than following
Crowley's 'way' (whatever that is) will.

I am ready to listen to anybody who can shed light for me on why Crowley
deserves uncritical admiration. I would genuinely welcome an attempt to
defend Crowley on a moral basis.

There is more that unites us than divides us so let's not fall out.

Si