[kj] gathering message board

Patrick Davies Patrick.Davies at subsea7.com
Fri Jul 2 05:04:25 EDT 2004

< firstly, i'm not demanding anything. why such harsh language? it was a
mere
suggestion! and i seriously doubt it's essential to anyone. some people
like
it, sure. but wouldn't the same people enjoy joe's boards just as much.
it's
the content, not where it's posted that matters. joe's boards would have
the
same meaningful on-topic content but without the spam and antagonist
posts.
hence the _suggestion_.>

email is unemotive as you very well know so its easy to misconstrue
people. However in your mail you referred to the place as being full of
d*ckheads and in context was a very strong suggestion, I would go so far
as to say it was a call to arms. ; )

< no, that's not the dilemma. they don't need to be posted. end of
story. they
were bought by a gatherer for the gathering. if people consider
themselves
serious fans of the band who deserve these tracks then they should join
the
list. there is simply too much danger of bootlegging to post these links
on
a public forum. this is my opinion.>

sorry if im picking you up wrong. However you used the excuse of the
potential bootlegging of files that were posted on the board as a valid
reason to encourage people into supporting the idea of the board being
closed. I don't use the board myself and I merely suggested that if
people didn't post the link then the board issue wouldn't be there.

< what a contorted crock. raven was pissed off about the astoria cd,
wasn't  he? what further evidence do you need???!>

I don't know about the reasoning behind Ravens annoyance [separate post
by ade666 might take this topic further]

< honestly, it's not about that. i have nothing to gain from closing the

gathering message board. i'm barred from joe's boards so actually i have

something to lose. what self-motivated reasons do you suspect me of
having?>

just the way you came across mate.

<i'm sure that argument would go down well with the band.>

that's their right. Im simply expressing an opinion on bootlegging
issues. If it was to affect someones survival then they have a right to
be angry. But fanatics crave their fix.

<again, such extreme language. suggesting we close one board down so
that the
very same people can move to a more regulated one - "tyranny!" you sound

slightly ridiculous.>

yes, maybe a smiley should have been there but I was mirror imaging your
initial attitude to the board closure. It was tongue in cheek : )

<it's not about suiting prejudices. (you haven't even explained to which
prejudices you refer. you just offered some vague speculation that it
may be self-motivated.)>

"the board is full of d*ckheads anyway".
Again I apologise profusely for picking up the wrong impression! Maybe
you can see where I misinterpreted?

< it's about preventing playing into the hands of the bootleggers, which
we have already established the band (or at least raven) are not happy
about.>

to which I simply said at the very first response that you don't need to
close a board that, although you personally don't like it - im confused
now to whether you do or don't, is used by many others when a simple
solution is to create some other method of posting links to mp3
soundbites which is what you agree with.

The exception I took/take/will forget about in 5 minutes/forgotten what
it was/ was the manner in which its easy to call for something to be
shutdown when it doesn't take into account the fact that it suits a
purpose for many others.

Its good to talk

iPat
[and yes (i)Paul there is a joke within the name!]