[kj] RE: gathering message board

michael.head at directline.com michael.head at directline.com
Thu Jul 1 08:03:31 EDT 2004

your bootlegging reasoning is eloquently put Patrick and what I attempted
to describe a couple of weeks ago.
these 'bootlegs' will be bought by killing joke fans, because they want it,
not thru force. to those who want the links not to be public, be glad the
message is still being propagated and don't be possesive about material
that does not belong to you either. the attitude that it's ok only for me
to own it because i'm in the kj club is crap. so some geezer makes a couple
of bob (and i'm only referring to stuff that's not gonna see the light of
day) out of it, so what ? he's providing something someone wanted &
couldn't find elsewhere & is infinitely more  preferable to the corporate
abuses the members of killing joke have & still continue to have to endure.

|         |           "Patrick Davies" |
|         |           <Patrick.Davies at s|
|         |           ubsea7.com>      |
|         |           gathering-bounces|
|         |           @misera.net      |
|         |           01/07/2004 11:44 |
|         |           "A list about all|
|         |           things Killing   |
|         |           Joke (the band!)"|
  |       To:       "A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)" <gathering at misera.net>                                    |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [kj] RE: gathering message board                                                                         |

Because of unscrupulous bootlegging of links, it seems a tad bit harsh
to demand the removal of a board that some (not me) deem as an essential
part of their desire of all things killing joke - which isn't that much
once you wade through most of the waffle.

So the dilemma is whether the urls of these files need to be posted on
this board or not, or even on any board as they might fall into the
hands of pirates

This raises two questions (maybe more but im busy), the first being is
there a need for them to be put on such a public forum and could another
method be more productive to the aims of the person posting the URL.

The second being is whether or not the bootlegging is actually a serious
issue. While I will happen by chance to be in Camden this weekend while
visiting London, I vary rarely am there and so don't really purchase
bootlegged copies. The sale of such copies are probably very low and if
anything will be bought by the connoisseur who may well have the same
material in many different formats anyway.

Lets face it, it wont be surprising to realise that KJ is not a
household name and many of the people I knew who used to attend their
gigs with religious fervour hardly buy music anymore let alone keep up
with the goings on of what many see as has beens (one accusation that we
have seen on this list b4.

So a few bootlegs is not really diverting financial resources away from
the band or the fine work done by several off shoots. If anything, it
may well be a more subliminal way of promotion.

The real issue it would seem to a casual passer by, is that some people
want their way to be everyones way. Shut the board is cry and the excuse
it the misuse of mp3 links. The reasons though are elsewhere and more
self motivated I suspect.

The fact that people want to share amongst like minded peers that they
may or may not know is a credit to the characters, and whoever chooses
to abuse that acts sincerity will face their own karma. To deny a whole
section of other people something that they value to suit the prejudices
of a few is tyranny.

iPat
*