[kj] OT Minstry live (or: How Yanni ruined my day)

Javier Garcia jagargal at lycos.com
Mon Dec 13 14:49:00 EST 2004

Yesterday, I went to this mini-fest featuring Puya, Sparta, Ill Nino, Ministry, Deftones and Korn. My only -obviuos- intention was to see Ministry; sadly it was not my day: First of all I was picking a friend of mine but he had to shower his little son before our way to the venue -damn!... it's hard to be a rocker-daddy!-, later we were trapped in a huge traffic jam -something completely unusual for a Sunday-. The thing was that in front of the 'Automobile Race Track of Mexico' (where Ministry was playing) there was Yanni concert, and a couple of showrooms into that same complex -The Sports Palace-. The traffic was horrible!! (and i was furious!). I was looking for an authorized area to park my car but all of them were full -I began listening 'Carmina Burana', Ministry was opening with 'No W'!! and I was still in the car!!. Minutes later I found a parking space that was in the very opposite side of the venue entrance... shit! it took us about 20 minutes to arrive walking/running to the venue wich -as I mentioned before- is into the huge 'Automobil Race track' complex. Arrived with 'Scarecrow' followed by 'Just One fix', 'Deity' and 'Thieves'. Can't beleive it...! they did a set of 40 minutes!!! and only 7 songs!! the crowd was pretty excited with the band, but they didn't even made and encore...!! We stayed to see The Deftones (they played a little bit more than one hour) and a even catched about 20 minutes of the Korn performance... of course Korn -as the main act- sounded incredibly loud and good, not my thing tough.
At the end Ministry was just another opening act for The Deftones and Korn. Hope they visit Mexico again but on their own. I was pretty excited with their live performance, although they didn't bring the whole show (with projectors, images, the guy with the Bush mask, etc.).

Javier
mexico city