[kj] que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be, we're going to Wem-ber-ley !

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 7 10:03:25 EST 2004

I can't be the only sheepish fan of Motley Crue here, can I? Yeah, they're INCREDIBLY silly and juvenile and stoopid and all that, but back before I ever layed ears on Killing Joke, they were pretty high on my list. The first time I ever heard the Joke, I was *WEARING* a Motley Crue shirt (TOO FAST FOR LOVE version...skull with handcuffs in the eyes), and yes, I welled up with shame. SHOUT AT THE DEVIL is a gloriously dumb album. That all said, pairing Killing Joke with Motley Crue is a *BOLDLY DUBIOUS* idea (read: stupid). Moreover, I can't seeing it serving to do anything more than frustrate Jaz. Clearly, the man's always harbored a desire to reach the greatest sized audience possible, but this is surely not the way to do it.

And not to sound like a snobby jackass here, but does the Joke honestly expect to make any converts out of the Crue crowd? I don't think anyone will argue with me that the average Killing Joke fan has a head full of healthy cynicism and more or less of a disdain for the trappings of the mainstream hive. Motley Crue, by comparison, are as populist as a superbowl half-time show. Killing Joke ask you to to wake up and smell the encroaching stench of armageddon. The Crue merely ask you to listen to their exploits of getting loud, laid and loaded with their wheels, whiskey and women. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but having the Joke open for the Crue is like having Gang of Four open for Ted Nugent. In other words, it's going to be a fuckin' slow motion car-crash.

Then again, maybe the Joke are just doing it for the fuck of it. I know we're all very protective of them, but if they're fine with the idea of basically being (a) ignored and/or (b) bottled offstage by a nation of bedenimed hair metal cretins who are anxious to hear "Girls, Girls, Girls", then who are we to balk? So long as they know what they're getting into -- that's all I'm sayin'.

Sorry for being so needlessly verbose, but I'm currently stuck in an internet cafe on a torturously cold and rainy day off (the baby's at home with a nanny). I'm killing time before going to a "Career Seminar," which will doubtlessly be a soul-crushing experience.

Anyway, at the very least, maybe it'll generate some momentum for the Joke...or at least light a fire under their collective butt to do more (then again, maybe the whole experience will discourage them). Time will tell.

Caffeinated Alex in NYC