[kj] RE: Introduction/newcomers/KJ4B

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 31 14:56:21 EDT 2004

--- Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Whatever. You're dragging the list down like an
> anchor.
>
> Alex in NYC

Hear, hear. Seriously, to recent newcomers, welcome,
and please try not to be discouraged by said anchor.
There are a lot of generous, genuine people on this
list who have much to say about Killing Joke (among
other things), but it's somewhat quiet now with the
lack of news. So an anchor like West fills a
disproportionate amount of the air with various drivel
that's rarely related to the Joke. But things pick up
(KJ discussion, that is) when you least expect it (I
find a West-to-trash e-mail filter keeps things
enjoyable for me...only when people reply to him do I
even remember he's still around). New releases/rumors
elicit opinions and debate, often rehashed but often
interesting if you care about the perspectives of
others who share your love of this band.

Anyway, regarding Killing Joke For Beginners (as one
of the new members asked), if you've just joined this
week then you've missed some say it's worth it for the
version of We Have Joy alone. Yes, you could say it's
EMI making a buck, but it also features Mike Coles'
unmistakable cover art, well-received liner notes,
some unreleased versions of BTATS songs and such, and
other features I can't remember ('cause mine hasn't
arrived yet). Personally, the song selection itself is
a fresh and well-thought-out mix, even if they aren't
your favorites.

Jiri