[kj] NYC gig - Mission Accomplished

Cliff and Kara Livingston gathering@misera.net
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:41:56 -0800

Most Excellent news my man,lemme know asap how many are available,and i'll
pay you quickly with interest due when we hit the bar,haha Cheers,Cliff
Thanks Alex completly makes my day,thanks very much !

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Smith" <vassifer@earthlink.net>
To: "Cliff and Kara Livingston" <antifrz@alaska.net>; <gathering@misera.net>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [kj] NYC gig - Mission Accomplished

Oy! What a morning. So, after becoming deeply disheartened by the seeming
lack of cohesion behind the logistics of this gig, I rose this morning
around 10:30 (after my 4pm to 4am shift) to bring to fruition the plan of
having Killing Joke tickets in hand by the end of the day. I checked the
various websites (CMJ, Webster Hall, Ticketmaster), and there was no change.
Details were either frustratingly vague or non-existant.

As fate would have it, I live but a mere three city blocks from Webster
Hall, so I grabbed an iced coffee from a local deli, hit the ATM and
proceeded to the venue at about 11:15 am. The front of Webster Hall (a
criminally unrecognized architectural landmark dating back to god knows
when) looked as shut as a beachfront surfshop during the bleakest days of
December. One solitary individual (count'em: 1) sat on the steps, reading a
copy of Kurt Vonegut's "Slaughterhouse Five". "Excuse me," I asked, "Are you
here for the same reason I'm here?" "Teecketts gow en sail ad noooon," he
mumbled, quickly returning to Vonegut's heady text....an interesting
situation, given that English didn't immediately seem like this fellow's
native tongue. Fine. So, I paced around, finishing my iced coffee and
wondering what the hell's up. No one else around. A few likely looking,
black-clad students walked down the street, but passed right by, heading for
the post office at the end of the block. Things were not adding up. I went
back to the Vonegut-reader.

"Which show are you looking to get tickets for?" I petitioned. He looked
back up, and in a thick, African accent, "Keeeling Jowuck". "Really??" I
retorted, hopefully not sounding too incredulous (not to put too fine a
point on it, but this gentleman really didn't seem to be the type whose
heart-rate accelartes when he hears the opening throb of "The Wait"). "Yes,"
he replied, "I yem getting Keeeling Jowuck teeckets fohr mye friend, who
izzat worruk at de mowmant."

Could this really be it? Am I really the *ONLY* person in New York City
waiting to get Killing Joke tickets, apart from some guy who is stuck at the
office and sends his exchange student pal? I was getting more dubious by the
moment.

I called my ever-savvy pal Rob at his office out on Long Island (Andy Misera
has met Rob...he's the gent getting furiously drunk with us in those pics on
Andy's site from my London visit in 2000). I have Rob scan the Ticketmaster
site, the CMJ site and the Webster Hall site for any further developments.
No news. I continued to pace up and down the block. Tick, tick, tick, tick.

Around five minutes to noon, I decide to call the box office. "Hi," I say,
"are you planning on selling tickets today, as advertised, for the CMJ
opening night showcase on October 22nd?" "Not until 1:30". ***click***
Gosh, thanks for telling us. In the spirit of fair play and good will, I
inform my studious African friend that the sale time has evidently been
pushed back to 1:30. He sighs, but doesn't look especially phased. I decide
to repair back home, use the facilities, eat some breakfast and grab a book
to read for when I go back. Suddenly panicking (unreasonably so) that in my
absence, a veritable army of zealous My Morning Jacket fans have shown up to
buy out the ticket supply, I hot-foot it back to Webster Hall, only to be
met with the exact same scene, only my African pal has given up on Vonegut,
and is now staring blankly into the middle-distance.

"Mebbe no wan lykes dee Keeeling Jowuk," he helpfully postulates, only to be
met with my furrowed-brow and "I WILL END YOU, BLASPHEMER" scowl. More time
passes. Around 1pm, a ponytailed fellow in an ill-fitting Webster Hall
t-shirt/dress pops out the door, asking either of us if we have a light.
Neither of us do, but suddenly the African gent seizes the day. "Winnn mei
weee bi teecketts fohr deee Keeeling Jowuck konserrt?" Captain Ponytail
squints quizzically at the query until I butt in and translate. "Oh," he
shrugs, "just ring the buzzer over at the door behind the stairs and that'll
let you into the box office." Progress maybe? Let's see.

Letting the African dude go first (he got there before me, after all), we
enter Webster Hall and climb a flight of stairs to the box office. It is
only about 1:05 pm. Behind the counter was a eastern european-looking babe
in a black wife-beater looking surprisingly pleased to see us. Sure enough,
tickets were to be had. The African bloke buys a solitary ticket for his
toiling friend and leaves, without a further word. I step up and pick up six
tickets (as that's as far as my money would take me), so Dirk -- I have your
two tickets, and Cliff, depending on whether or not Tod [A]shely decides to
join us, you have two or three tickets waiting for you.

As a final note, Killing Joke are listed at the bottom of the proceedings,
under The New Deal and My Morning Jacket.

Fini.

Alex in NYC

----------
>From: "Cliff and Kara Livingston" <antifrz@alaska.net>
>To: <gathering@misera.net>
>Cc: "Alex Smith" <vassifer@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: [kj] NYC gig
>Date: Thu, Sep 25, 2003, 5:38 PM
>

>Yes Alex can you pick us up some tickets ?
>Do ya know how much they are each?
>If under $20 please buy 6 if over $20 buy 4 ?
>Thanks,lemme know if ya get them,or if i shoud check out ticketmaster,don't
>wanna miss out even a short KJ set is worth the trip,altho there's gonna be
>a show in Philly.
>Cheers and many thanks in advance,Cliff & Kara & whoever else is
benifitting
>!

We're