[kj] ED&VRE atkins veto

Amy Moseley gathering@misera.net
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:00:10 -0500

Quoting Deadjester <rivethead@comcast.net>:

> As far as I know In the US no band has to tell any venue what songs are
> being played or pay a fee for covers(that's why we have so many crappy cover
> bands). I know throughout europe(I'm unsure how england does it) that is not
> the case(I toured with a crappy death metal band called brodequin for
> awhile). Pigface mainly plays in the US so he can pretty much play whatever
> he wishes and no one will bat an eye at him.

All US venues that have music played, whether DJs or a jukebox or
play the radio or have live bands are supposed to have an ASCAP
licence, though this is hard to enforce.  I'm not sure exactly
how the funds are used, but you'll see the sticker in the window
of law-abiding establishments.  This includes restaurants and
other less-likely places.

However, performing music for a live crowd is not considered
a copyright infringement -- I suppose it's being reproduced,
but in a transient fashion.  If the result were *recorded*
and released on a live album, *then* there would have to
be fees paid.  This is just a part of why all places have
to ban audio recordings of concerts, and don't usually
like it even with unsigned bands.

However, at this past weekend's festival here, one *could*
bring still cameras, and since many still digital cameras
can hold video, there was a lot of footage taken.  I didn't
take mine, just cos it's frankly too expensive to get damaged
by the crush of a crowd, but there were certainly others
there with one.