[kj] Prague set-list

Amy Moseley Rupp gathering@misera.net
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:16:04 -0500 (CDT)

> I'd be happy if they used their vote. Most Americans I know claim they
> don't vote because they don't believe in it. Many of them use the last
> election as an example of why they don't vote. I think it's an
> example of why they should, but then, what business is it of mine? I'm
> just a foreigner.

You're a citizen of the world, and if we're going to tramp around
claiming to be the world's leaders, then people should call us
on it.  We don't even represent the views of the world's democracies,
much less that of the world entire.

I don't understand the idea that Americans don't vote "because
they don't believe in it."  Yes, it exists, especially among
people in their twenties and thirties, because by population
we are disenfranchised (too many baby boomers).  BUT it's
the only way we have to effect change short of revolution.
Better to know you've done all you can (including voting) than
to sit around and bitch about how bad things are when you
haven't even tried.

There was actually a musicians' campaign to improve voting
turnout among younger voters, called "Rock The Vote."  I
hate to think about how long ago this was ;-)  It was a
noble attempt, but I wonder what (if anything) would get
younger people to vote?!