[kj] Review in Brainwashed Brain

Nils Winkler gathering@misera.net
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:38:12 +0200

Nobody seems to have noticed the raving review in this week's Brain=20
(http://www.brainwashed.com/brain/brainv06i36.html):

<quote>
KILLING JOKE
Zuma
No longer can any man look me in the eye and call himself a rock fan until=20
he has heard this masterpiece of magical changes. This is no mere rock=20
performance, but a curse upon the Bush clan and their corporate cronies, a=20
fiery invocation to hasten the inevitable fall of the US Empire. For the=20
opening attack the hardcases gather around the table and the game is big=20
picture. "The Death and Resurrection Show" sets the scene with an=20
irresistably thunderous tribal dance beat from hardcore skinbeating=20
primitive Dave Grohl, a simply devastating give up ultimatum to false metal =

guitarists from Geordie and some of the most important imagery to ever be=20
transmitted via the rock medium from the much maligned and misunderstood=20
genius Jaz Coleman. Next, a hesitant woman of liberty asks how we can go up =

against the government and decides we must all rise at once. Jaz is up for=20
trying to inspire us to do so, and "Total Invasion" lays it on the line for =

the liars who blaspheme our names in the infinitely cancerous pursuit of=20
profit. Fireblast riffs and collapsing skyscraper drums lumber asunder as=20
Jaz strangles lizards from his throat to exorcise the Bush-pig demons and=20
lay them in the dirt to perish of thirst as revenge for the third of the=20
world they are slowly, meanly, inhumanly killing to keep the cold blood=20
gurgling through their hardened arteries with seconds to go. Next, Jaz=20
assumes the form of an "Asteroid" which crashes into the ocean, flooding=20
and laying waste to the proliferating homogenous technocracy. It recalls=20
"Whiteout" amped up a zillion volts. Redefining cyber-punk, "Implant"=20
questions the morality of techno-genetic hybrids and mourns the inevitable=20
loss of diversity that is plunging the race towards eternal DOOM. Like=20
"Asteroid," the entire song grinds to a halt several times for Jaz to=20
scream his rage at the cold science fools and their deathsucking paymasters =

=3F "You just want to FUCKING CONTROL!" Then the headlong rush of "Blood On =

Your Hands" orders them to atone for their crimes and paints a picture of a =

world laid waste by their idiotic short sighted greed. It would really be a =

swell single, and not just for the blessed inspiration of hearing the=20
lyric, "Poison the water so only your GM crops grow," infiltrating wishy=20
washy MTV land. This is far beyond mere MALICIOUS DAMAGE. This is the most=20
precisely directed and accurately targeted distillation of molten rage I=20
have ever experienced. And I've heard a lot of so called hardcore over the=20
years. The second half briefly drops a rung into more personal head space.=20
The arm waving wasteland zombie bop "Loose Cannon" recalls imagery from the =

dreams that inspired their seminal debut album and the circle is completed. =

Both this rather odd choice for a single and the next track reclaim and=20
embellish the "Eighties" chug that poor Cursed Cobain filched in=20
admiration. This is the only band on the planet who could get away with a=20
lighters in the air ballad like "You'll Never Get To Me" probably because=20
they have torches. Shame they didn't replace it with the rabid "Inferno"=20
which closes UK copies, but has been left off in other regions for obvious=20
reasons. The next single is out this week and is rock perfected to sum up=20
the personal anger and despair at falsely mediated visions of a world gone=20
mad. Your mission is to buy "Seeing Red" from a chart return shop NOW and=20
shake up the fake money-love kiddypops charts with something of substance,=20
a song up there with such classics as "The Wait" and "Pssyche." What=20
feeling, loving, angry human could resist the joy of hearing a tune open=20
with the line, "They're dropping bombs again, and they're doing it in your=20
name," and continue with the ultimate condemnation of limited small town=20
England tedium and ignorance. Grohl's drums shine, reverting more to Scream =

patterns than Nirvana. Geordie rips the burning sky to shreds with the=20
greatest one note guitar spears and the bass line is a massive descending=20
roll of thunder. The most harrowing trip is the eerie and desolate "Dark=20
Forces" in which Jaz trawls the mind of a desecrating corporate ogre and=20
survives to report the megalomaniac creep churnings. I wouldn't like to=20
spend an hour locked inside those heads but Jaz is a sterner being than I.=20
The final report the megalomaniac creep churnings. I wouldn't like to spend =

an hour locked inside those heads but Jaz is a sterner being than I. The=20
final battle sees the fall of "The House That Pain Built" as Zeppelin's=20
"Kashmir" is ripped apart and rendered a mere grunt. After pain we WILL=20
have JOY. This is one band to empower the will like no other. Our Rubicon=20
approaches. Lets all go to the Fire Dances once again. So be it! - Graeme=20
Rowland
</quote>