[kj] nyc

mike coles gathering@misera.net
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:09:38 +0000

OK here we go!
First of all - sorry Dirk, I didn't make it back to the bar until
just after ten as I finally got to meet up with Big Paul after
calling him on the wrong number for three days.

Anyway here's the stuff Alex didn't report:
Day 1
Arrive in NYC too early to check in so have to leave my bags and plod
the streets until 3 o'clock.
Had a hamburger two beers and only got lost once.
Called Raven and he said come over to the hotel around ten.
I said seven as I'd probably have faded by ten.
Sitting at the hotel bar at 6.30 when Jaz walks up and orders a large
bloody mary.
He doesn't see me.
I shout "hey!!" and he freezes in total shock (he doesn't know I'm in
NYC) and says "what the fuck are you doing here!!".
"And it's nice to see you too" say I.
Then hugs and kisses and drinks all round.
And Raven turns up then Geordie then Cliff (Big man him), Ted, Hobie
(drumtech), Nick W, a couple of BigLifers and Geordie's mate Tom from
Detroit.
Anyway the beers gave way to large Martinis in a bar in Lafayette
street where smoking was allowed.
And in the early hours Cliff guided me into a passing cab despite my
protestations of "shokay ican walkit from 'ere shnoproblem mate."
Darkness/oblivion.
Woke up and had to go out and buy a packet of Aspirin.
Went shopping had lunch and a couple of beers to straighten out.
(sorry dub, but we are slightly on topic)
Got back to the hotel had a shower when Alex turned up as I'm still half naked.
Gave him a malicious-on-the-front-damage-on-the-back t-shirt and he left.
Then we all met in the bar and the rest is as the alexINnyc scribe reported...

...up to Day 5 when I finally got to sit down with Big Paul for the
first time in about 18 years.
He was with his lovely wife Olga and we met in the Telephone bar and
had dinner and talked about old times.
They were both a bit down as a very close friend had just been killed
in a car crash.
He's still playing drums but not in any band.
He repairs/renovates old sculptures, not at the Metropolitan as we
all thought, but at a studio in Brooklyn.
He does his own stuff too and hopes to put on an exhibition next year.
So that makes two of us.
I asked him if he fancies releasing anything on Malicious Damage and
he said maybe.
So I'll take that as a yes!
He also really wanted to go to the gig but no-one invited him.
Paul R - If you're out there give him a call.

And now for a bit of character assassination:
AleXinNyc:
Just how he should be.
Nice, helpful, intelligent and an allround good guy.
And then he gets drunk and tries to break your back every five minutes.
And tries to break into the KJ tour bus.
I'm serious, I hid round the corner while they all went to assault
the bus at 3.30 in the morning.
Not in my name said I!!

Dirk:
He's a schoolteacher.
He looks like a schoolteacher.
But give him a faceful of beers and Killing Joke and he's a fucking lunatic!
When Wardance kicked in a couple of dozen moshers went at it but Dirk
and some guy with a mohican finished them all off and had to be
calmed down by the scruffs of their necks by one of the man-mountain
security guards.
And his mate Tim's a good guy too - very tolerant and understanding.

Todd FluwDot:
Mr guitar. I reckon him and Rob's Arse could spend hours talking shop.
Played him the early demo of Wardance over breakfast the next morning
and he was most impressed.
(Todd, can you send me your brother's details again? BPF was quite interested.

New Guy Mike:
Very quiet and sensible. He wasn't drinking but he looks mean and tough.

Yossy Joseph Exorcist:
25 looks 40. Mr Tech. Or should that be Mr Talk.
That guy talks like no other.
It was like walking round NYC with Woody Allen.
I think he's still talking to me now.
Yossy - I've gone home mate!!
Hope your mam's on the mend.

Cliff and Kara:
Cliff's Big. And Mrs Cliff's lovely.
Hope it's going well Cliff and thanks for sending me home in one piece.

Cliff's sister and her friend:
Really nice girls. And they really enjoyed the gig.
I could say more but I might get my face slapped!

Robyn pigtails:
Just a quick chat, but nice to meet you.

That's it for now except that the outstanding tracks for me were
Wardance and Change and the gig was too short.
But they're always too short, even when they're two hours long.

So it's a malicious thanks to everyone involved for one of the best
holidays I can remember.

cheers and if I missed anyone out - sorry,
colesy

--
Check out our merchandise at http://www.maliciousdamage.co.uk
... and you can find more Killing Joke at http://www.studio-c.co.uk