[kj] New York Report! BEER

Thomas Kennedy gathering@misera.net
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:41:58 -0700 (PDT)

--0-564224978-1067046118=:55733

<The only American beer I can drink (and love) is Pabst

atta boy.  (only on tap, though)

Tom.   : )

Christof hamille <wessidetempest@hotmail.com> wrote:
You don't get a hangover from "yankee" brew? Good beer god, the vast
majority of it is swill and it gives my horrid hangovers. Candaian beer is
worse (for me). The only American beer I can drink (and love) is Pabst.
When I was in Germany every single beer I had (which was many) was great and
no hangover. I would wake up and not feel a thing. I was quite younger.
Maybe it is different being here and choking it down all the time.

I probably will be falling off the wagon for the Halloween show. Can't wait
; )

Chris

>From: "Dirk Kingerske"
>To: gathering@misera.net
>Subject: Re: [kj] New York Report!
>Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:17:37 +0200
>
>Sitting here at some internet cafe at 42nd street I have to admit that it
>was a damn fine night last night.... looking forward to meeting alex and
>colsey tomorrow at the habitat for a nice tour de yorke neuf .... won't be
>too sure about the diggler thingy, yossy :o)
>btw.... american beer is great... it's so watered that you can't get a
>hangover...... time to go drinking,
>

>dirk
>
>p.s. enjoy baltimore and the rest of the best... hopefully longer than the
>nyc gig and an exploding, moshing kraut..... crowd i mean!
>

>>From: The Exorcist
>>To: gathering@misera.net
>>Subject: Re: [kj] New York Report!
>>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:53:29 -0500 (CDT)
>>
>>Hello To The gaythering Folks!
>>I'm not as a prolifc writer as sir Alex is. However, I must admit
>>that after many months, I've come to the realizatin of the gaythering,
>>and now understand the utter fascination with Rob's arse!
>>
>>Alex, point #2, it's Brooklyn, ye drunken sot!
>>
>>Point #3, Yosef is fine. But I use Yossy. And being that it's hard
>>for ya to remember all these names. Just stick with shmo!
>>
>>#4, I hope to have the pics posted by tomorrow evening.
>>
>>#5 To all you brits, and europenis's. You have no idea what dedication
>>to a band means. You did not have to suffer through listening to utter
>>trash , seeing some dumbass Naked Cowboy (apperantly some guy in his
>>underwear with a non to impressive build is considered "COOL" these days.)
>>paying 7 dollars a beer and being surrounded by a group of folks who seem
>>to think that music is anything you can fart out of yer ass!
>>
>>Mind you, The naked cowboy guy, I think is a sign from "the god that Dirk
>>does not belive in" to intensify the belief of "The Gsythering" as we so
>>lovingly found out.
>>
>>All in all, I wish the set was longer. The show still kicked ass. And I
>>have never met a nicer group of folks like this in all my experience.
>>(was it the gay thing?).
>>
>>Hopefully we the gaythering shall have one more meeting before they all
>>run off.
>>
>>It's been an honor a pleasure and a most enjoyable experience.
>>
>>Best Wishes to you all..
>>
>>Yossy
>>
>>(ps. Dirk, puts Dirk Diggler to shame! We should have put him on stage to
>>show the naked cowboy what a pathetic shmuck he reall is! (pun intended!).
>>He's also quiet the ladies man, though he needed some motivation from
>>Senior Alex. *grin*
>>

>>On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Alex Smith wrote:
>>

>> > God Bless Chock Full'o'Nuts Coffee, by gosh.
>> >
>> > Incidentally, those of you looking for strictly gig details and a
>>set-list
>> > are going to have to earn it, or wait for a less flowerly and
>>self-serving
>> > report from someone else.

> [...]

<DIV>&lt;The only American beer I can drink (and love) is Pabst</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>atta boy.&nbsp; (only on tap, though)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Tom.&nbsp;&nbsp; :&nbsp;)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>Christof hamille &lt;wessidetempest@hotmail.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">You don't get a hangover from "yankee" brew? Good beer god, the vast <BR>majority of it is swill and it gives my horrid hangovers. Candaian beer is <BR>worse (for me). The only American beer I can drink (and love) is Pabst. <BR>When I was in Germany every single beer I had (which was many) was great and <BR>no hangover. I would wake up and not feel a thing. I was quite younger. <BR>Maybe it is different being here and choking it down all the time.<BR><BR>I probably will be falling off the wagon for the Halloween show. Can't wait <BR>; )<BR><BR>Chris<BR><BR><BR>&gt;From: "Dirk Kingerske" <DIRKINGERSKE@HOTMAIL.COM><BR>&gt;Reply-To: gathering@misera.net<BR>&gt;To: gathering@misera.net<BR>&gt;Subject: Re: [kj] New York Report!<BR>&gt;Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:17:37 +0200<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Sitting here at some internet cafe at 42nd street I have to admit that it <BR>&gt;was a damn fine night
 last night.... looking forward to meeting alex and <BR>&gt;colsey tomorrow at the habitat for a nice tour de yorke neuf .... won't be <BR>&gt;too sure about the diggler thingy, yossy :o)<BR>&gt;btw.... american beer is great... it's so watered that you can't get a <BR>&gt;hangover...... time to go drinking,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;dirk<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;p.s. enjoy baltimore and the rest of the best... hopefully longer than the <BR>&gt;nyc gig and an exploding, moshing kraut..... crowd i mean!<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;From: The Exorcist <EXORCIST@TRIFOCUS.NET><BR>&gt;&gt;Reply-To: gathering@misera.net<BR>&gt;&gt;To: gathering@misera.net<BR>&gt;&gt;Subject: Re: [kj] New York Report!<BR>&gt;&gt;Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:53:29 -0500 (CDT)<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Hello To The gaythering Folks!<BR>&gt;&gt;I'm not as a prolifc writer as sir Alex is. However, I must admit<BR>&gt;&gt;that after many months, I've come to the realizatin of the gaythering,<BR>&gt;&gt;and now understand the
 utter fascination with Rob's arse!<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Alex, point #2, it's Brooklyn, ye drunken sot!<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Point #3, Yosef is fine. But I use Yossy. And being that it's hard<BR>&gt;&gt;for ya to remember all these names. Just stick with shmo!<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;#4, I hope to have the pics posted by tomorrow evening.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;#5 To all you brits, and europenis's. You have no idea what dedication<BR>&gt;&gt;to a band means. You did not have to suffer through listening to utter<BR>&gt;&gt;trash , seeing some dumbass Naked Cowboy (apperantly some guy in his<BR>&gt;&gt;underwear with a non to impressive build is considered "COOL" these days.)<BR>&gt;&gt;paying 7 dollars a beer and being surrounded by a group of folks who seem<BR>&gt;&gt;to think that music is anything you can fart out of yer ass!<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Mind you, The naked cowboy guy, I think is a sign from "the god that Dirk<BR>&gt;&gt;does not belive in" to intensify the belief of
 "The Gsythering" as we so<BR>&gt;&gt;lovingly found out.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;All in all, I wish the set was longer. The show still kicked ass. And I<BR>&gt;&gt;have never met a nicer group of folks like this in all my experience.<BR>&gt;&gt;(was it the gay thing?).<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Hopefully we the gaythering shall have one more meeting before they all<BR>&gt;&gt;run off.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;It's been an honor a pleasure and a most enjoyable experience.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Best Wishes to you all..<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Yossy<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;(ps. Dirk, puts Dirk Diggler to shame! We should have put him on stage to<BR>&gt;&gt;show the naked cowboy what a pathetic shmuck he reall is! (pun intended!).<BR>&gt;&gt;He's also quiet the ladies man, though he needed some motivation from<BR>&gt;&gt;Senior Alex. *grin*<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Alex Smith wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; God Bless Chock Full'o'Nuts Coffee,
 by gosh.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Incidentally, those of you looking for strictly gig details and a <BR>&gt;&gt;set-list<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; are going to have to earn it, or wait for a less flowerly and <BR>&gt;&gt;self-serving<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; report from someone else.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Right. First comes the apologies. There is a troubled, private, roiling<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; rubicon of near-pantsless drunkenness that I have been handily known to<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; happily cross on many an occaission, whereupon after which I am <BR>&gt;&gt;churlishly<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; renowned for expressing my outbursts of good will and bonhommie via <BR>&gt;&gt;striking<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; various compadres on the shoulder, solarplexus, nape and/or sternum <BR>&gt;&gt;harder<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; than they'd necessarily prefer, let alone expect. Suffice it to say, <BR>&gt;&gt;this<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; point was swiftly passed in the very early hours of this morning, and
 <BR>&gt;&gt;if<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Tale-tellin' Todd "Fluw" Wulfemeyer, Yosef "excitable" Exorcist, <BR>&gt;&gt;Teutonic<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Dynamo Dirk, Sir Michael "Don't Call Me Claude Rains" Coles, veritably <BR>&gt;&gt;bulky<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; brick shithouse "New Guy" Mike and/or Ted "ask me another Prong <BR>&gt;&gt;question and<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; you're going head first into the toilet" Parsons wanted to beat the <BR>&gt;&gt;snots<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; outta me in due course for it, I wouldn't hold it against them. Still,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; could've been worse, right? At least my pants stayed on, right? (please <BR>&gt;&gt;tell<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; me they did, fellas). All's well that ends...well, nevermind.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; To quote Cat "Death to the Infadels" Stevens, morning has fucking <BR>&gt;&gt;broken.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Wow. Quite an evening. At around 4:30 pm, after putting on my <BR>&gt;&gt;needlessly<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; silly spikey belt and blow-drying
 my hair just so, I bounded out the <BR>&gt;&gt;door to<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the now-fabled (well, not realy) Central Bar wherein I met....well, no <BR>&gt;&gt;one<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; at first (though that didn't stop me from bellying up to the bar and<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; igniting proceedings with a bang in the form of a pint of Yuengling, <BR>&gt;&gt;the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; first of way too many). In short order (though not in short stature), <BR>&gt;&gt;the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; estimable artisan we all know and manfully adore as Mike Coles arrived <BR>&gt;&gt;(in<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; stylish leather coat, replete with "Laugh at Your Peril" badge) to -- <BR>&gt;&gt;as<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; loathesome pop harpee P!nk might've said -- get this party started. <BR>&gt;&gt;After a<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; bit, whilst the stoically sage-like Coles regailed me with yarns of <BR>&gt;&gt;olde<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; involving the protoplasmic origins of Malicious Damge like a learned <BR>&gt;&gt;druid<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; schooling a
 wide-eyed peasant lad, in walked three leggy ladies who <BR>&gt;&gt;extended<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; a lithe, seductive didjit at my red MALICIOUS DAMAGE CLOCK shirt. <BR>&gt;&gt;"Alex?"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; asked the brunette. Turns out that this was big Cliff's wife, sister <BR>&gt;&gt;and<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; sister's friend, all looking very sexy and tatooed and post-punk and <BR>&gt;&gt;all<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; that. Suddenly, it was a genuine...er...gathering.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Shortly afterwards, in walked the Hamburgian force of supernature that <BR>&gt;&gt;is<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Dirk K. and his trusty sidekick Tim (himself also sporting the red <BR>&gt;&gt;Malicious<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Damage clock shirt), and out went the girls (not as a result, mind you, <BR>&gt;&gt;but<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; for the purposes of going home, changing and showering). Reduced again <BR>&gt;&gt;to a<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; quartet of males, our little pirate ship settled in for more beers
 <BR>&gt;&gt;(Coles<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; drinking Corona, the rest of us opting for Yuengling at my dubious<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; suggestion). For those that give a toss, Devilish Dirk came swaddled in <BR>&gt;&gt;the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; now-ancient Gathering t-shirt, rocking it "old school" as the bretheren <BR>&gt;&gt;of<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the hip hop community might say (though, he was quick to point out, he<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; sported an Extremities t-shirt underneath). Why Dirk saw fit to wear <BR>&gt;&gt;two<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; t-shirts when one would've handily sufficed still eludes my <BR>&gt;&gt;comprehension.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; After ordering some man-sized plates of charred animal flesh, loving <BR>&gt;&gt;adorned<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; with cheese and chips, the garishly-painted doors of this fine <BR>&gt;&gt;establishment<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; swung wide yet again, and in strutted Todd "Fluw" Wulfemeyer, straight <BR>&gt;&gt;from<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the mean, blood-splattered streets of
 Albany (our fine state's capital <BR>&gt;&gt;city,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; for those of you keen on that sort of trivia). Bravely sporting the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; eye-catching and temper-tempting "drowning Liberty" t-shirt, his <BR>&gt;&gt;Fluwness<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; gamely ordered himself a plate of "bangers'n'mash" (how Brit of him) <BR>&gt;&gt;and a<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; pint of Guiness and mucked right in. Having heard that the Exorcist,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; red-headed Robyn and various other folk were going to be late and would <BR>&gt;&gt;try<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; to find us at the venue, it seemed our little gang of avengers was now <BR>&gt;&gt;fully<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; assembled.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; We'd heard initial reports that the band themselves (or at least Raven)<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; might come and find us at the Central Bar, but those rumours revealed<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; themselves to be sadly unfounded. After shovelling down our grub and<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; hoisting a few more frothy
 beverages, we decided to ship out, leaving <BR>&gt;&gt;the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; comfy confines of the Central Bar (and inexplicably repeated airings of<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; "Roundabout" by Yes on the soundsystem) behind us. Two city blocks and <BR>&gt;&gt;one<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; corner later, brightly lit marquee of Webster Hall came into full <BR>&gt;&gt;view....as<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; well as the rather worrying sight of a big line-up (or "que" as you <BR>&gt;&gt;Brits<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; might say). Dutifully taking our place at the back of it (much to our<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; collective grumbling), our little brood of scowling Gatherers spied the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; crowd for any familiar faces. None found, but I spotted (and rather <BR>&gt;&gt;brazenly<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; accosted) a rather large looking gent sporting the CONFIRM YOUR WORST<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; FEARS/Central Point shirt, which I immediately pointed out to <BR>&gt;&gt;said-shirt's<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; designer, Mike Coles. Turns out this big
 dude's name was John, and he <BR>&gt;&gt;did<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; indeed procure that handsome garment through the Mal.Dam site, though <BR>&gt;&gt;he<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; seemed to scoff at the notion that Mike Coles actually remembered the <BR>&gt;&gt;order.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Why would we lie?<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; In due course, we ticket holders were allowed to jump the line (whilst <BR>&gt;&gt;the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; indie-rock loving, CMJ-badge-holding hordes in their ironic cardigans,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; sensible shoes and trucker caps) were left to wait in the damp. Fluw,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; meanwile, vanished for a bit to prize his ticket from the wilcall line. <BR>&gt;&gt;In<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; we went.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Back in the day, Webster Hall was formerlly known as the Ritz and <BR>&gt;&gt;played<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; host to every great band worth a damn in the 80s, the Joke included.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Sometime around 1989, however, the owners of the Ritz pulled
 out of the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; operation and the venue morphed into Webster Hall, a niteclub in the <BR>&gt;&gt;same<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; style as the then-hip Palladium and once-prominent Danceteria. I hand't <BR>&gt;&gt;been<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; in the great room's interior since about 1994 when Redd Kross played <BR>&gt;&gt;(live<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; music is a scarcity at Webster Hall, let alone decent live music). The <BR>&gt;&gt;main<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; floor we shuffled into looked a bit like a high school prom, complete <BR>&gt;&gt;with<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; dangling disco ball. We gawked around in a state of bemusement, <BR>&gt;&gt;ordering<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; ourselves another round of beers (fuckin' SEVEN DOLLARS for a bottle of<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; shitty Budweiser!!?!?!?!?) and looked around for other Jokers. Fluw<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; reappeared and we all repaired to the side bar for a bit.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Finding precious little excitment at said side bar, we ambled upstairs
 <BR>&gt;&gt;to<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; take a gander at the crowd and see the stage. Once assembled, as if on <BR>&gt;&gt;cue,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the lights dimmed and out strode a hirsute quintet of irritating <BR>&gt;&gt;hepcats who<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; apparently call themselves The Fever, who proceeded to launch into a<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; headache-inducing racket that couldn't have been more retrophillically<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; derivative if earnest attempted. After giving them a brief sporting <BR>&gt;&gt;chance<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; (much to our furrowed-brows, shaking heads and expressions of abject<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; disdain), we collectively decided to spare our hearing and repair back<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; downstairs.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; More beers followed. Dirk's buddy Tim found himself an easy chair near <BR>&gt;&gt;the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; television and settled in to soak up some baseball. The rest of us <BR>&gt;&gt;chatted<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; amiably with a variety of CMJ characters. After
 a spell, in walked <BR>&gt;&gt;Yosef (i<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; believe I'm spelling that correctly), otherwise known as The Exorcist <BR>&gt;&gt;(why<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; he calls himself this, I do not know, but suffice it to say he was not<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; wearing a priest's collar nor, to my knowledge, in possession of any <BR>&gt;&gt;holy<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; water). I wandered about looking for other Gatherers. We spotted Cliff,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; himself toiling under the crack of Killing Joke's roadie whip, along <BR>&gt;&gt;with<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the drum tech from New Zealand, who looks like he could easily slit one <BR>&gt;&gt;up<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; and down with a bowie knife before you could say "Picnic at Hanging <BR>&gt;&gt;Rock".<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Chatted with them briefly before they were summoned back to the <BR>&gt;&gt;trenchs. I<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; wobbled over to a little table in the back of the room where I'd <BR>&gt;&gt;spotted Bob<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Mould (shorn of hair and in
 suprisingly fit shape) and expressed my<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; admiration, however somewhat insincerely. Never one to miss a <BR>&gt;&gt;promotional<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; opportunity, he slipped a BLOWOFF flyer in my hand (his new electronic<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; project) which I then proceeded to discard almost immediately upon <BR>&gt;&gt;leaving<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the room. Sorry, Bob.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Time passed. In my further wanderings, I was met by "New Guy Mike" and <BR>&gt;&gt;a<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; lurker who disquietingly announced my name in a somewhat sinister tone <BR>&gt;&gt;named<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Adam (I think). The merch table was hawking the clown shirts, a bag of<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Colesy badges and a new, heretofore unspotted design dubbed "Stone <BR>&gt;&gt;Face"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; (basically a pic of Jaz's face taken from the "Seeing Red" video, not <BR>&gt;&gt;at all<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; unlike the homemade design Mik Raven posted some time ago). Like the
 <BR>&gt;&gt;dutiful<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; fanboy, I bought one (treating the unsuspecting hordes to a thoroughly<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; unsolicited viewing of my bare, pasty, pale torso as I slipped it on <BR>&gt;&gt;under<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the read MAL.DAM clock shirt) By around 10:30, we figured it would be<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; prudent to secure a spot up by the stage, just in time to catch a set <BR>&gt;&gt;by the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; band VHS or Beta (and, honestly, can you think of a sillier name for a<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; band?)<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; VHS or Beta basically play a discoey approximation of Gang of Four and <BR>&gt;&gt;sport<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; hairstyles that recall a Small Faces-era Ron Wood. I didn't think they <BR>&gt;&gt;were<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; entirely terrible (I think Coles tolerated them as well), but needless <BR>&gt;&gt;to<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; say....they're no Killing Joke.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Done with that rabble, the bunch of us ploughed through the human
 <BR>&gt;&gt;cattle to<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the front (myself pushing aside a comely wench at the barricade, almost<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; immediately lapsing into apologies for my boorish behavior, which she <BR>&gt;&gt;seemed<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; to buy). That mission accomplished, in very short order, the lights <BR>&gt;&gt;dimmed<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; again and....hello, what's this? KILLING JOKE TAKE THE STAGE!!!!!!!!! <BR>&gt;&gt;Raven<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; strides right up to the front of the stage, greeting we the grinning<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; faithful.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Honestly speaking? It's all a manic fucking blur. Jaz in now familiar<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Peruvian spider get-up and bug-eyed visage of impending doom, Raven in <BR>&gt;&gt;camo<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; shorts, POLIZEI t-shirt, warpaint and signature wool cap, Geordie in<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; kneepadded "interesting pants" and unbothered expression of coolster<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; insouciance, Parsons a bald-head machine of
 stick-flailing death. On <BR>&gt;&gt;the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; keybs was a fresh-faced gent named Nick, looking quite the youngster <BR>&gt;&gt;but<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; handling his duties with aplomb. Rookie roadie Cliff sat aside the <BR>&gt;&gt;stage in<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the ready position, often dutifully scampering about like a ball-boy at<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Wimbledon. Some technical problems blighted the early bits of the set, <BR>&gt;&gt;but I<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; honestly didn't notice (as I was entirely busy trying to shove the <BR>&gt;&gt;metal,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; cattle-hurding barricades THROUGH THE FUCKING STAGE in a state of<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Joke-fueled apoplexy like froth-mouthed epileptic). Herewith the <BR>&gt;&gt;set-list<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; (thank you Cliff for the artefact, by the way)...<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; * "Communion"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; * "Requiem"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; * "Total Invasion"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; * "Wardance"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; * "Blood on Your Hands"<BR>&gt;&gt;
 &gt; * "Change"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; * "Seeing Red"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; * "The Wait"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; * "Whiteout"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; * "Pssyche"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; &gt;From what I could tell, the crowd was pretty into it (though I <BR>&gt;&gt;would've<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; liked to have seen a bit more movement). I believe Dirk was chastised <BR>&gt;&gt;by<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; some figure of authority for attempting to get a pit going. What's New <BR>&gt;&gt;York<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; City coming to? Ya can't smoke? Ya can't mosh? It might be time to move <BR>&gt;&gt;to<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the country, methinks. At one brief point (I want to say during <BR>&gt;&gt;"Change,"<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; but I might be mistaken) some entirely foolhardy lad leaped down from <BR>&gt;&gt;what I<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; believe was the BALCONY onto the stage, whereupon he was summarily <BR>&gt;&gt;treated<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; to a roughnecked "bouncer sandwich" and jostlingly bundled off to what <BR>&gt;&gt;I
 can<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; only imagine was a late evening of moist-eyed wound-licking. Silly boy.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; And as soon as we were reaching that white hot level of synchronized<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; band-crowd intensity.....it was over. Thanks for coming. No encore <BR>&gt;&gt;(which I<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; believe was CMJ's doing, not the band's). Once we spotted the drum kit <BR>&gt;&gt;being<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; disassembled, we knew the proverbial fat lady had chirped.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Stumbling around, trying to organize some semblance of a plan, Fluw and <BR>&gt;&gt;I<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; bound upstairs, looking for the band. From behind th stage door, along <BR>&gt;&gt;comes<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Jaz looks suprisingly relaxed, respendent in black with signature <BR>&gt;&gt;Indiana<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Jones hat. Fluw and I dutifully express our boundless gratitude (I <BR>&gt;&gt;believe I<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; told Jaz I was thinking of naming my impending child after
 him). He <BR>&gt;&gt;could<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; not have been nicer. Out walks Geordie, looking a bit miffed to be <BR>&gt;&gt;honest,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; though I cannot say why. Fluw and I basically deduce that he is not to <BR>&gt;&gt;be<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; bothered. Back downstairs we go and meet red-haired and pig-tailed <BR>&gt;&gt;Robyn and<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; her pal Sean, whom we unsuccessfully invite with us to the nearby<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Black'n'White Bar for a drink.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Outside the venue, we give a knock on the tour bus and Raven yanks us <BR>&gt;&gt;inside<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; for a brief, blurred momment of affable howayas. We mention that we're <BR>&gt;&gt;all<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; going to the Black'n'White Bar to continue the merriment. Parsons says <BR>&gt;&gt;he'll<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; be along shortly.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Once back outside, off we go the bar one block away, where we are soon<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; joined by Ted Parsons, keyboardist
 Nick Walker (who had to go BACK to <BR>&gt;&gt;the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; bus to fetch his passport to prove his age to the unsmiling bouncer), <BR>&gt;&gt;Troy<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Gregory (!!!!!...who looks bizarrely like a younger version of Jaz) <BR>&gt;&gt;various<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; roadies, an ex-Swan (old pal of Ted's) and Cliff's trio of lovely <BR>&gt;&gt;ladies.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Many, many drinks and photographs followed (watch this space soon for <BR>&gt;&gt;those)<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; and it was at this point that I became more of a blabbering loon than <BR>&gt;&gt;usual,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; initiating the afore-mentioned practice of shoulder-hitting, much the<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; chagrin of my fellow bar patron. Ted Parsons, Nick Walker and Troy <BR>&gt;&gt;Gregory<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; were all complete champs and chatted with us like members of the <BR>&gt;&gt;extended<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; family. Raven, it seems, has sworn off heavy-bevvy comsumption and <BR>&gt;&gt;remained<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; behind
 to store up his strength for the next gig. I gather the night <BR>&gt;&gt;before,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Coles saw the band in fighting martini-swigging form, so their <BR>&gt;&gt;batteries<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; needed a recharging I suppose.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Hours and dollars later, it was all over. The boys in the band repaired <BR>&gt;&gt;back<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; to the bus. Exorcist fled back to Queens. Fluw and Colesy repaired back <BR>&gt;&gt;to<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; the Union Square Hotel. The German contingent departed for their hotel <BR>&gt;&gt;in<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; midtown, and I wobbled the two blocks back to my home, though not <BR>&gt;&gt;before<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Cliff handed me the setlist outside the venue (where Coles was <BR>&gt;&gt;convinced we<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; were going to pound on the tourbus door to wake up Jaz and <BR>&gt;&gt;Geordie....we<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; didn't).<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; And that was that.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Alex in
 NYC<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; _______________________________________________<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Gathering mailing list<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Gathering@misera.net<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;_______________________________________________<BR>&gt;&gt;Gathering mailing list<BR>&gt;&gt;Gathering@misera.net<BR>&gt;&gt;http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;_________________________________________________________________<BR>&gt;Schützen Sie Ihren Posteingang vor unerwünschten E-Mails. <BR>&gt;http://www.msn.de/antispam Jetzt Hotmail-Junk-Filter
 aktivieren!<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;_______________________________________________<BR>&gt;Gathering mailing list<BR>&gt;Gathering@misera.net<BR>&gt;http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering<BR><BR>_________________________________________________________________<BR>See when your friends are online with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now <BR>FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com<BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Gathering mailing list<BR>Gathering@misera.net<BR>http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering</BLOCKQUOTE>
--0-564224978-1067046118=:55733--