[kj] Play Dead etc

Antoni Adamiak gathering@misera.net
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:32:58 +0000

The first couple of John Peel sessions that Play Dead recorded (Metallic
Smile, Pray To Mecca, Effigy, Propaganda being the first) were excellent and
the mini-LP "The First Flower" again was pretty good. IMHO they showed
influences of Joy Division and Black Sabbath, rather than the Joke. Whereas
1919 were so obviously KJ influenced both in music and subject matter and
lyrics (you can order a copy of entire works @
http://www.cherryred.co.uk/goth/1919.htm). There was also a London band that
briefly surfaced in 1983 called The HeadHunters and their JP sessions is 4
tracks of pure KJ. They also disappeared pretty quickly. Plus of the two
other Malicious Damage bands, Red Beat had more than an element of KJ but
also contained two of Howard Jones brothers ...

* http://home.clara.net/antoni/ *