[kj] Used CDs

Alex Smith gathering@misera.net
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:23:00 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3148381380_37918_MIME_Part

You guys are late. I already engaged the dubious Mr.Ott.

My biggest beef with Ott isn't that he has negative things to say about Cop
Shoot Cop, but rather that he doesn't seem especially well-versed (not just
in C$C, but in every case). Even a passive glance through his blurbs reveals
an incredibly lazy, not-entirely-informed hack perspective. As far as I'm
concerned, one's credibility as a music journalist/"rock critic" is measured
by one's grasp on the material and the ability to
convey/contextualize/communicate in regards to that material. Ott, in this
instance, has failed to do so, thus what he has to say is moot.

For those that care, I brought this debate to the ILM boards, and Ott
himself has weighed in. Enjoy the battle of bluster here:

http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=3867517#3868018

Alex in NYC

----------
From: Jelbod@aol.com
To: gathering@misera.net
Subject: Re: [kj] Used CDs
Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 1:03 PM

In a message dated 07/10/03 11:00:43 Pacific Daylight Time,
morbidflorist@yahoo.com writes:

Don't let Alex see #49 though!

   Ouch , yeah, i can see a blistering narrative heading this way and to
Pitchfork.

--MS_Mac_OE_3148381380_37918_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [kj] Used CDs</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<BR>
You guys are late. I already engaged the dubious Mr.Ott.<BR>
<BR>
My biggest beef with Ott isn't that he has negative things to say about Cop=
 Shoot Cop, but rather that he doesn't seem especially well-versed (not just=
 in C$C, but in every case). Even a passive glance through his blurbs reveal=
s an incredibly lazy, not-entirely-informed hack perspective. As far as I'm =
concerned, one's credibility as a music journalist/&quot;rock critic&quot; i=
s measured by one's grasp on the material and the ability to convey/contextu=
alize/communicate in regards to that material. Ott, in this instance, has fa=
iled to do so, thus what he has to say is moot.<BR>
<BR>
For those that care, I brought this debate to the ILM boards, and Ott himse=
lf has weighed in. Enjoy the battle of bluster here:<BR>
<BR>
http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=3D3867517#3868018<BR>
<BR>
Alex in NYC<BR>