[kj] Mike' hotel

Alex Smith gathering@misera.net
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:29:23 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3148032563_450765_MIME_Part

So, just for laughs (and since I don't have to work until this evening and
have nothing better to do until then), I took a walk to go check out Mike's
proposed hotel, the Union Square Hotel (209 E.14th St.).

As I suspected, it's on 14th Street between 3rd and 2nd Avenues. For those
unfamiliar with Manhattan, 14th street is sort've the line of demarkation
that signals the beginning of "downtown". You'll often hear black-clad
hipsters offering that they "NEVER go above 14th street" if they can help
it. That said, it is a neighborhood unto itself....the longest running
east-west street in Manhattan, effectively bi-secting the island.  Parts of
it are completely devoid of character, while others host a melange of urband
culture that semebles a veritable casbah, replete with hucksters, haggling
merchants and snake-charmers. The strip Mike's hotel is on is a particularly
colourful one. Back in the early 90's, the editor of a weekly newspaper for
whom I used to write a profanity-strewn music column, John Gertner, lived
about six doors down, and the scourge of the street was a shadowy
delicatessen called "the New Way" (think Georgie-Boy's ominous intonation in
"Clockwork Orange") that was basically a front for a lucrative drug trade
(it wouldn't have been out of the question to run into GG Allin or
then-bedraggled Brit music writer Kris Needs skulking around, looking to
score). I remember attending a party or two at John's place and being
somewhat ill-at-ease when strolling by this particularly lawless edifice.

Those days are long gone, though. The gay moviehouse/sex toy emporium that
used to reside on the corner has been replaced by a squeaky clean pharmacy.
The dreaded New Way Delicatessen has long since been vacated. The area has
been cleaned up and is no longer the fearsome patch of badlands that it once
was.  I poked my head into the lobby of the Union Square Hotel, and it seems
perfectly resectable. Don't expect accomodations comparable to the Plaza
Hotel or the Waldorf-Astoria, but it should be perfectly acceptable,
especially given the cheap price.

For those keen on cinematic significance, Mike's proposed hotel is exactly
one city block north of the brothel where Travis Bickle staged a bloody
bullet party in "Taxi Driver" and but one block to the east of where once
stood the Palladium (wherein Michael J. Fox snorted copious amounts of
cocaine in the cinematic adaptation of "Bright Lighs Big City"). Prior to
becoming a big disco in the mid-80's, the Palladium was a concert venue,
where I once saw Devo and Judas Priest (though not the same show). It was
torn down about five years ago, though, to accomodate a character-less
dormitory for NYU students, sadly.  If any of you caught the archival art
film, "Downtown 81," this is the neighbohood Jean-Michel Basqiat's character
wanders around in, though it's virtually unrecognizable from its incarnation
in those halcyon days.

In any event, Mike (and anyone else), if you choose this hotel, you'll be
very conveniently located to the venue and a variety of cool spots. I also
live quite nearby, so I'll happily serve as a tour guide of sorts.

Alex in NYC