[kj] KJ live in Brisbane - LONG!

Geoffrey ODonoghue gathering@misera.net
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:51:51 -0800 (PST)

--0-841890675-1069829511=:27018

Hi all

I have been pretty slack about writing this review considering the show was last Friday but I was waiting to hear more about the reported deaths in the KJ touring party before I jumped in with an unimportant (by comparison) concert review. No further information has been forthcoming about this incident (and I haven't been able to find any mention of it on the news sites) so here goes.

When I first heard the Joke were coming to town I asked a couple of mates if they would be interested in going but expected a negative response. They were both fairly keen however and so it was a group of three of us that fronted up around 8:15 at the Arena in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley (the valley is described on Brisbane City Council's website as follows: The Valley is now famous for clubs and restaurants – along Ann and Brunswick Streets you'll find DJs and live music for the fans, the backpacking brigade and the alternative set. This area boasts all-hours bars, coffee shops and restaurants). It's also a bit grubby and, at times, dangerous - just the place to go to and see Killing Joke.

After getting a round of over-priced beers in we stood behind the sound desk where a tall blondish guy with a receding hairline and cargo pants asked us for help in opening the CD player. Blimey, I thought, that guy looks like Geordie - he must be a dead keen fan - imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that. Needless to say it was, in fact, the maestro himself and, after succeeding in putting on a CDR of some sort of English rap (excuse my ignorance), he proceeded to the far end of the bar where he consumed beer after beer (no vodka as far as I could see - just the VBs) for the next hour or so. No I didn't go up and talk to him - because a) I'm somewhat shy and retiring and b) I had no idea what to say. Geordie seemed to be in a very happy mood, dispensing hugs to various associates - mostly women. My companions expressed the opinion that he looked "half cut" and speculated about his ability to play (or even stand) later on in the evening.

The opening act, Headkase, was due to start at 9:00 according to the soundman's schedule (KJ's start time was down as 10:30) and they promptly took the stage at that time. I have to say that I quite enjoyed the performance although their unique style of music took me somewhat by surprise - imagine a band that employs the same song structure as Mr Bungle (i.e. chaotic) with death metal cookie monster vocals. They played a strangely entertaining 45-minute set.

10:30 came and went of course. By this time we had relocated ourselves to the second row right in front of Raven's position. I noticed a likable looking lad purposefully making his way around the band's gear making sure that all was in readiness. Hmmm... there can't be too many blokes in Australia with t-shirts advertising Tattoo Parlours in Anchorage, Alaska (I thought to myself). My conclusion was that this was, in fact, the Gathering's own Cliff - nice to put a face to a name.

At 10:55 the lights dimmed and Faith Healer started up. I hadn't realised that they played the whole song beginning to end - the crowd of 400 odd were getting somewhat agitated as it played through. Then as the keyboard introduction to Communion started, I realised one of my fondest dreams was about to come true - I was going to see KJ live!

I had had my reservations about the crowd before the show (I thought they looked uninterested - like they were just there because it was something to do) but they immediately proved me wrong when they gave the band a big welcome - the volume increasing when Jaz took the stage. I have to admit that the next hour and 40 minutes was a bit of a blur for me. I remember screaming out the lyrics (or approximate versions) for all the songs, dancing like a lunatic and, at times, just standing there with a big shit-eating grin on my face. It was f**king brilliant. The sound was muddy, you could hardly hear Jaz between numbers - none of it mattered. This was Killing Joke and they were magnificent - everything I expected them to be. Jaz seemed to be having a good time and he responded strongly to the feedback from the crowd. Geordie was a revelation - how the f**k can he get those sounds out of a guitar that he seems to be strumming gently while staring blankly into space with a bemused half
 smile on his face? Mr Raven was also in fine form - he seems to take his interaction with the audience very seriously - especially with the female members! Keyboards were handled very well by the new guy whose name momentarily escapes me. Mr Parsons treated us to a blistering barrage of drums. He didn't put a foot wrong (or should that be a stick) at any time - my favourite moments of his were during Follow the Leaders - what a thunderous display. That brings me to the set list which was as follows:

Communion (not a particular favourite of mine but a great live song)
Requiem (great drums by Ted)
Total Invasion (a highlight - very well received by the crowd)
Wardance (time to mosh)
Blood on Your Hands (also a crowd favourite)
Change (time to dance)
Seeing Red (big crowd response for the chorus)
Fall of Because (got a somewhat subdued hearing)
The Death and Resurrection Show (and the crowd was at it again)
Kings and Queens (some entertaining teasing between Jaz and Geordie)
The Wait (we were still trying to dance)
Asteroid (Jaz poured scorn on our pathetically hoarse attempts at the chorus)
Whiteout (this was f**king brilliant - a longer version would have killed us)
Frenzy (another somewhat subdued response)
Pssyche (but then we were at it again)

(encores)
Follow the Leaders (very very good - as mentioned above Ted was blisteringly loud)
Pandemonium (another crowd favourite but by this time we were knackered)

The set list on the soundboard had Loose Cannon before Follow the Leaders but they must have decided to give it a miss for some reason.

That's all folks - sorry to go on so long but this concert was a significant event for me. I only hope it won't be a once in a lifetime thing.
Geoff

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
--0-841890675-1069829511=:27018

<DIV>&nbsp;
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Hi all</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Arial Unicode MS'"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I&nbsp;have been pretty slack about writing this review considering the show was last Friday but I was waiting to hear more about the reported deaths in the KJ touring party before I jumped in with&nbsp;an unimportant (by comparison) concert review. No further information has been forthcoming about this incident (and I haven't been able to find any mention of it&nbsp;on the news sites) so here goes.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">When I first heard the Joke were coming to town I asked a couple of mates if they would be interested in going&nbsp;but expected a negative response. They were both fairly keen however and so it was a&nbsp;group of three of us that fronted up around 8:15 at the&nbsp;Arena in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley&nbsp;(the valley is described on Brisbane City Council's website as follows: The Valley is now famous for clubs and restaurants – along Ann and Brunswick Streets you'll find DJs and live music for the fans, the backpacking brigade and the alternative set. This area boasts all-hours bars, coffee shops and restaurants). It's also a bit grubby and, at times, dangerous - just the place to go to and see Killing Joke.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">After getting a round of over-priced beers in we stood behind the sound desk where a tall blondish guy with a receding hairline and cargo pants asked&nbsp;us for help&nbsp;in opening the CD player. Blimey, I thought, that guy looks like Geordie - he must be a dead keen fan - imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that. Needless to say it was, in fact, the maestro himself&nbsp;and, after succeeding in putting on a CDR of some sort of English rap&nbsp;(excuse my ignorance), he proceeded to the far end of the bar where he&nbsp;consumed&nbsp;beer after beer (no vodka as far as I could see - just the VBs) for the next hour or so. No I didn't go up and talk to him - because a) I'm somewhat shy and&nbsp;retiring and&nbsp;b) I&nbsp;had no idea what to say.&nbsp;Geordie seemed to be in a very happy mood,&nbsp;dispensing hugs to various&nbsp;associates - mostly women. My companions expressed the opinion that
 he looked "half cut" and speculated about his ability to play (or even stand) later on in the evening.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The opening act, Headkase,&nbsp;was due to start at 9:00 according to the soundman's schedule (KJ's start time was down as 10:30) and they promptly took the stage at that time. I have to say that I quite enjoyed the performance although their unique style of music took me somewhat by surprise - imagine a band that&nbsp;employs the same&nbsp;song structure as Mr Bungle (i.e. chaotic)&nbsp;with&nbsp;death metal cookie monster vocals. They played a strangely entertaining 45-minute set.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">10:30 came and went of course. By this time we had relocated ourselves to the second row right in front of Raven's position. I noticed a likable looking lad purposefully making his way around the band's gear making sure that all was in readiness. Hmmm...&nbsp;there can't be too many blokes in Australia with t-shirts advertising Tattoo Parlours in Anchorage, Alaska (I thought to myself). My conclusion was that this was, in fact, the Gathering's own Cliff&nbsp;- nice to put a face to a name.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">At 10:55&nbsp;the lights dimmed and Faith Healer started up. I&nbsp;hadn't realised that they played the whole song&nbsp;beginning to end -&nbsp;the crowd of 400 odd were getting somewhat agitated as it played through. Then&nbsp;as the keyboard introduction to Communion started,&nbsp;I realised one of my fondest dreams was about to come true - I was going to see KJ live! <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I had had my reservations about the crowd before the show (I thought they looked uninterested - like they were just there&nbsp;because it was something to do) but they immediately proved me wrong when they gave the band a big welcome&nbsp;-&nbsp;the volume increasing when Jaz&nbsp;took the stage. I have to admit that the next hour and 40 minutes was a bit of a blur for me. I remember screaming out the lyrics (or approximate versions) for all the songs, dancing like a lunatic and, at times, just standing there with a big shit-eating grin on my face. It was f**king brilliant. The sound was muddy,&nbsp;you could hardly hear Jaz between numbers - none of it&nbsp;mattered. This was&nbsp;Killing Joke and they were magnificent - everything I expected them to be. Jaz seemed to be having a good time and he responded&nbsp;strongly to the feedback from the crowd. Geordie was a revelation - how the f**k can he get those sounds
 out of a guitar that he seems to be strumming gently while staring&nbsp;blankly into space with a bemused half smile on his face? Mr Raven was also in fine form - he seems to take his interaction with the audience very seriously&nbsp;- especially with the female members! Keyboards were handled very well by the new guy whose name momentarily escapes me. Mr Parsons&nbsp;treated us to a blistering barrage of drums. He didn't&nbsp;put a foot wrong&nbsp;(or should that be a stick) at any time - my favourite&nbsp;moments of his were during Follow the Leaders - what a thunderous display. That brings me to the set list which was as follows:<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Communion (not a particular favourite of mine but a great live song)&nbsp;<BR>Requiem (great drums by Ted)<BR>Total Invasion (a highlight - very well received by the crowd)<BR>Wardance (time to mosh)<BR>Blood on Your Hands (also a crowd favourite)<BR>Change (time to dance)<BR>Seeing Red (big crowd response for the chorus)<BR>Fall of Because (got a somewhat subdued hearing)<BR>The Death and Resurrection Show (and the crowd was at it again)<BR>Kings and Queens (some entertaining teasing between Jaz and Geordie)<BR>The Wait (we were still trying to dance)<BR>Asteroid (Jaz poured scorn on our pathetically hoarse&nbsp;attempts at the chorus)<BR>Whiteout (this was f**king brilliant&nbsp;-&nbsp;a longer version would have&nbsp;killed us)&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>Frenzy (another somewhat subdued response)&nbsp;<BR>Pssyche (but then we were at it again)</SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">(encores)<BR>Follow the Leaders (very very good - as mentioned above&nbsp;Ted was&nbsp;blisteringly loud)&nbsp;<BR>Pandemonium (another crowd favourite but by this time we were knackered)</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The set list on the soundboard had Loose Cannon&nbsp;before Follow the Leaders but they must have decided to give it a miss for some reason.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">That's all folks - sorry to go on so long but this concert was a significant event for me. I only hope it won't be a once in a lifetime thing.</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Geoff&nbsp;&nbsp;</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Helv color=#000000 size=2>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-841890675-1069829511=:27018--