[kj] answers & questions

Alexander Smith gathering@misera.net
Mon, 26 May 2003 19:31:55 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3136822315_66479_MIME_Part

"And, yes I still have it! And strangely enough Manic Street Preachers used
that watch picture many years later!"

Hahahahaa....that's the cover art for the CD single of "Motown Junk" which I
have and have thought of using as a coaster, until some zealot told me it
was worth a pile. Must re-examine now.

Alex iN NYC

----------
From: mike coles <mike@studio-c.co.uk>
To: gathering@misera.net
Subject: [kj] answers & questions
Date: Mon, May 26, 2003, 12:15 PM

&
derek driddle asked
Hi mike
as we are on the suject of killing joke Sleeves
I was wondering if you can tell me anything about the Origin of the B/W
photo on the Reverse side of the Wardance Sleeve
Thanks
If my memory serves me right it's a still from the film The Taking of Pelham
1-2-3 about a siege at a police station

...and now for Alex in NYC
Some trivia questions that I don't know the answers to re: artwork:

(1) What is the building on the front (and back) of the "Eighties" sleeve?
You should know that Alex, it's in NYC just like you.

(2) Did Big Paul really draw the sleeve for "A New Day"?
(3) Are there any pictures of the original design for REVELTATIONS (i.e.
with badge?)
(4) On the cover of NIGHT TIME, where are the band standing (on a dock? in a
basement?)
I wasn't involved in any of these but I'll ask around

(5) Who is that on the cover of FIRE DANCES?
some photographer's model

(6) What is the origin of the little girl on the beach illustration on the
"Let's All Go" sleeve?
A painting that I found in an art magazine called "Colour" published in
1912, and yes I do have the original.
But I always thought it was a little boy. Oh dear...
(7) Is that indeed Ron Reagan on the sleeve of "Empire Song"?
Don't know, wasn't involved, but I'll ask
(8) Did you (Mike Coles) ever hear from any of the unfortunate souls whose
shilhoettes adorn the front cover of the first album (escaping from a gas
attack, I believe)?
They were irish teenagers running away from British troops in Derry,
Northern Ireland and funnily enough I have actually thought about going
there and tracking them down

(9) What is the significance of the placement of minute and hour hands on
the Malicious Damage clock?
The very first positioning was the time the first atom bomb went off in
Hiroshima. I'd just visited the museum there.
I thought of using an actual photo of a watch from the time but I decided to
smash up my own clock instead.
And, yes I still have it! And strangely enough Manic Street Preachers used
that watch picture many years later!

(10) Please explain the visuals on the EXTREMITIES tour shirt (blonde twins
watching a television set with the crucifixion therein, dead body [Youth?]
lying in zebra crossing, creepy hands from stage-right over a candle, etc.)
I originally did that for Red Beat in 1980 but Killing Joke got jealous and
said they wanted to use it. It then didn't get used until Raven was was
round my place ten years later when we were doing Extremities and he asked
if he could have it for a t-shirt.
And if you really want to know what it means, read my brain!

And today I'm wearing brown socks and had pizza for lunch.

Amen.
St Michael of Coles
--
Visit our web site at http://www.studio-c.co.uk and buy hi-res images for
only ten pounds from the skylite zone

--MS_Mac_OE_3136822315_66479_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [kj] answers & questions</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><B><I><BR>
&quot;And, yes I still have it! And strangely enough Manic Street Preachers=
 used that watch picture many years later!&quot;<BR>
</I></B></FONT><BR>
Hahahahaa....that's the cover art for the CD single of &quot;Motown Junk&qu=
ot; which I have and have thought of using as a coaster, until some zealot t=
old me it was worth a pile. Must re-examine now.<BR>
<BR>
Alex iN NYC<BR>
<BR>
<BR>