[kj] sorta-ot: Killing Joke book idea?

Stephen Robinson gathering@misera.net
Sun, 25 May 2003 10:58:17 +0100

Thing with concentrating on Jaz the nutter, would we be in danger of
creating a new Ozzy? God forbid..

To counter that, I suggested an authoritative, detail-exhaustive book about
Killing Joke. While he recognized their name, I think he was only familiar
with maybe the "Love Like Blood" single. I went in for the kill,
highlighting Jaz's storied career as a musician coupled with his notoriously
colorful antics as a man driven by all stripes of strikingly diverse
philosophies. Call me biased, but I think a book on Jaz Coleman's life alone
would make for interesting reading. I mean, he's the perfect amalgam of
brilliance, madness, will and vision. He belongs right up there with Klaus
Kinski, Werner Herzog, Jackson Pollack, etc. etc. etc. I then layed my case
for the broad-sweeping but as-yet under-recognized influence of Killing
Joke's music on genres ranging from Punk to Metal to Dub to Industrial to
Pop to Goth to Trance and beyond. Top that off with anecdotes about manic,
sudden flights to Iceland, cows hearts on journalists desks, death threats,
the occult, recording sessions in the great pyramids and more intra-band
plot-line dramas that any soap opera would kill for and
*****BANG******....you got yourself a page-turner! Julian Cope be damned,
this would be the real deal!