[kj] sorta-ot: Killing Joke book idea?

Alexander Smith gathering@misera.net
Sat, 24 May 2003 18:12:07 -0500

"keep me posted how it goes..."

Well, let's not all get our hopes up too soon. I have a few friends who've
been trying to brow-beat me into doing a book for some time (not necessaril=
about Killing Joke, though that always seems like the first idea), but my
problem is not really understanding how to go about it. My friend Sean is
writing a memoir about his life in and out of reform schools (a troubled
youth, our Sean was) and has a publishing deal and an agent and all that,
and he is most insistant at my undertaking a simillar project. He and I wer=
kicking ideas around, and I blithely mentioned that no one -- to my then
knowledge -- had ever written an authoritative book about Jonathan Richman
and the Modern Lovers (a band as seminal to the constructs of proto-Punk
Rock as the Stooges and the Velvet Underground, yet much less heralded). I'=
postulated that since Richman himself is such an eccentric, quasi-reclusive
character, a book on him could be interesting to even the passive layperson=
.
Sean jumped out of his chair with excitement and said he'd talk to his agen=
about it. A day later, he called me back saying his agent loved the idea an=
would love to get together and discuss the options. Great....wheels set in
motion.

Over the next couple of days, before meeting with this guy, I did a little
sniffing around. Turns out, as fate would have it, someone *HAS* written a
thorough book on Richman,....and it came out as recently as 2000 (on a tiny
British publishing house called Peter Owen Press, but not so tiny that I
couldn't find the book on the shelves of my local bookstore). The lynchpin,
however, is that the writer (a British dude named Tim Mitchell) didn't get
any cooperation from Jonathan Richman. Jonathan wished him well, but refuse=
to be interviewed (apparently, Richman isn't in the business to be lionized
in this manner). Regardless, the book is admirably pretty exhaustive
otherwise,....rendering the concept of *ANOTHER* book on the man rather moo=
(even if we managed to somehow convince Richman to cooperate). So, flush
that idea.

To be honest, I was quite relieved. While I think that the first Modern
Lovers record (with Jerry Harrison and David Robinson, later of the Talking
Heads and Cars, respectively) which features such classics as "Roadrunner,"
"She Cracked" and "I'm Straight" is a fuckin' storming, wall-flattening
record that sounds as vital today as when it was recorded (a jaw-dropping
1973), I have precious little time for his later work, which can range from
cutesy precious through insufferably twee. I can't imagine devoting the nex=
couple of years of my freetime devoted to his music. I'd have to open a vei=
at some point and end it all.

So, I talked with the agent before meeting him and told him the news. He wa=
bummed, but still encouraging -- saying that where there's one good idea,
there are bound to be more. He still wanted to meet up. So, this past
Wednesday, I went to an "idea breakfast" with the guy. He turned out to be =
little more of a slickster than I was hoping/expecting, and prone to
dropping lots of names from the literary congniscentti that I'm only
passively aware of (and if I wasn't married to a very literate woman who
works in publshing, I dare say I would've been completely in the dark.) I
ran a couple of more ideas by him, all of them music-related.
Dissapointinly, this guy wasn't as versed in music as I'd have liked, and
wasn't entirely familiar with some of the concepts I was suggesting. I did
suggest a book exclusively about New York City bands from the early 80s
through today (something between "Please Kill Me" and "Our Band Could Be
your Life," concentrating on bands from the Swans and Pussy Galore through
the new shit like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, to bring it up to date). He sniffed
that he wasn't impressed by Azzerad's book (which I loved) and that he
thought: "maybe 5,000 people would want to buy that book!" That sounded
promising to me, but not to him (too small....this guy wrangled the deal fo=
the recent Neil Young biography, which just came out in paperback). He then
suggested -- rather incongruously -- that I write a book about REM's MURMER
album and how significant it was, seemingly obvlivious to the fact that
there are already waaaaaayyyy too many books about REM out at the moment
(and I neglected to mention that I didn't share his enthusiasm for the albu=
in question).

To counter that, I suggested an authoritative, detail-exhaustive book about
Killing Joke. While he recognized their name, I think he was only familiar
with maybe the "Love Like Blood" single. I went in for the kill,
highlighting Jaz's storied career as a musician coupled with his notoriousl=
colorful antics as a man driven by all stripes of strikingly diverse
philosophies. Call me biased, but I think a book on Jaz Coleman's life alon=
would make for interesting reading. I mean, he's the perfect amalgam of
brilliance, madness, will and vision. He belongs right up there with Klaus
Kinski, Werner Herzog, Jackson Pollack, etc. etc. etc. I then layed my case
for the broad-sweeping but as-yet under-recognized influence of Killing
Joke's music on genres ranging from Punk to Metal to Dub to Industrial to
Pop to Goth to Trance and beyond. Top that off with anecdotes about manic,
sudden flights to Iceland, cows hearts on journalists desks, death threats,
the occult, recording sessions in the great pyramids and more intra-band
plot-line dramas that any soap opera would kill for and
*****BANG******....you got yourself a page-turner! Julian Cope be damned,
this would be the real deal!

The agent wasn't that enthused, citing the "select audience" angle. He's go=
a point, but I'm thinking it isnt' my idea that's wrong, but rather my
choice of representation. I should start smaller (this guy was looking for
the next Jonathan Franzen....which he ain't going to find in me). At the
very least, he was very accomodating and offered to act as a sounding board
for future concepts. So, we'll see.

Am I wrong in thinking there is someone else on the list who has been
kicking a book idea around as well? Please speak up if so.

Alex in NYC