[kj] Another bloody review - mine!

Will E Scheipers gathering@misera.net
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:53:18 -0700

----__JNP_000_08e8.1e7e.3dc6

> well, it seems Killing Joke have just put together an album without
> actually
> meeting. And this from a lead singer that apparently has no time for
> such
> means of communication!

Jaz is full of shit, he says whatever he wants at the time and disregards
it later.

> Consequently I totally agree with the post here yesterday that said
> KJ
> should get a full time drummer for the next album and they should
> all
> preferably eat, drink, think and sh-t together throughout the entire
> process
> of recording it.
> I’ve no idea if the album would have been better if put together by
> more
> traditional rock n roll processes of course, but it’s not just about
> the
> music,it’s about the band and how they do what they do.

I could buy that argument, KJ has needed a solid rhythm section since
'91. However, with Grohl in the mix they got halfway there.

> The other thing I don’t like about the album is that basically, once
> again,
> it’s heavy metal. Full respect and all, but I’m just not a metaler.
> thought Extremities was crap and Pandemonium was ok as far as some
> form of
> curious techno-metal goes.

See, you could have just limited the whole email to this phrase. Most
people who don't like Extremities aren't going to buy this. I severely
doubt KJ, and more importantly Geordie, is going back to the "shimmering
chords" of BTATS or Night Time.

> I knew I wouldn’t really like the new album after the first three
> bars of
> the opening song (D&RS). Chug-chug-chug-chug…. The good thing about
> D&RS is
> Jaz bellowing out verses that sound like black magic spells, because
> I like
> it when he’s like that. But whereas on Fire Dances and BTATS it’s
> clever,
> here the whole song is just like some poor relation of Iron Maiden.
> Blood on Your Hands and Seeing Red are the ones that stood out, but
>
> generally if I closed my eyes and you told me I was listening to
> absolutely
> any old West Coast/Seatle/Greenwich Village rock band on MTv, I’d
> believe
> you. Frankly, Blur's sound has more individuality.

Nah, couldn't agree less with this. This album IS KJ through and through,
with each album KJ has evolved their sound, and sometimes, if not most of
the time, it goes in directions that fans don't like. There are people on
here who tout revelations or night time and slag the rest, but if you're
only going to stick to the old stuff then what's the point? Just because
KJ has decided to go "metal" doesn't mean they regressed, it's just
another step.

> My over-riding thought is that Jaz Coleman is now infinitely more
> interesting as an individual than Killing Joke are.

Jaz Coleman is KJ's best asset and worst weakness all in one.

> I’m not going as far as selling my Camden ticket though. Perhaps
> tomorrow
> I’ll love the album.

Perhaps.

----__JNP_000_08e8.1e7e.3dc6

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bottomMargin=3D0 leftMargin=3D3 topMargin=3D0 rightMargin=3D3>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt; well, it seems Killing Joke have just put together an album=20
without <BR>&gt; actually <BR>&gt; meeting. And this from a lead singer =
that=20
apparently has no time for <BR>&gt; such <BR>&gt; means of communication!</=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0080ff>Jaz is full of shit, he says whatever he wants =
at the=20
time and disregards it later.</FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt; Consequently I totally agree with the post here yesterday =
that=20
said <BR>&gt; KJ <BR>&gt; should get a full time drummer for the next album=
 and=20
they should <BR>&gt; all <BR>&gt; preferably eat, drink, think and sh-t =
together=20
throughout the entire <BR>&gt; process <BR>&gt; of recording it.<BR>&gt; I=
=92ve no=20
idea if the album would have been better if put together by <BR>&gt; more=20
<BR>&gt; traditional rock n roll processes of course, but it=92s not just =
about=20
<BR>&gt; the <BR>&gt; music,it=92s about the band and how they do what they=
=20
do.<BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0080ff>I could buy that argument, KJ has needed a solid=
 rhythm=20
section since '91. However, with Grohl in the mix they got halfway=20
there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt; The other thing I don=92t like about the album is that =
basically,=20
once <BR>&gt; again, <BR>&gt; it=92s heavy metal. Full respect and all, but=
 I=92m=20
just not a metaler. <BR>&gt; I <BR>&gt; thought Extremities was crap and=20
Pandemonium was ok as far as some <BR>&gt; form of <BR>&gt; curious techno-=
metal=20
goes.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0080ff>See, you could have just limited the whole email=
 to=20
this phrase. Most people who don't like Extremities aren't going to buy =
this. I=20
severely doubt KJ, and more importantly Geordie, is going back to the=20
"shimmering chords" of BTATS or Night Time.</FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt; I knew I wouldn=92t really like the new album after the first=
 three=20
<BR>&gt; bars of <BR>&gt; the opening song (D&amp;RS). Chug-chug-chug-chug=
=85. The=20
good thing about <BR>&gt; D&amp;RS is <BR>&gt; Jaz bellowing out verses =
that=20
sound like black magic spells, because <BR>&gt; I like <BR>&gt; it when he=
=92s=20
like that. But whereas on Fire Dances and BTATS it=92s <BR>&gt; clever, <BR=
>&gt;=20
here the whole song is just like some poor relation of Iron Maiden.<BR>&gt;=
=20
Blood on Your Hands and Seeing Red are the ones that stood out, but <BR>&gt=
;=20
<BR>&gt; generally if I closed my eyes and you told me I was listening to=20
<BR>&gt; absolutely <BR>&gt; any old West Coast/Seatle/Greenwich Village =
rock=20
band on MTv, I=92d <BR>&gt; believe <BR>&gt; you. Frankly, Blur's sound has=
 more=20
individuality.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0080ff>Nah, couldn't agree less with this. This album =
IS KJ=20
through and through, with each album KJ has evolved their sound, and =
sometimes,=20
if not most of the time, it goes in directions that fans don't like. There =
are=20
people on here who&nbsp;tout revelations or night time and slag the=20
rest,&nbsp;but if you're only going to stick to the old stuff then what's =
the=20
point? Just because KJ has decided to go "metal" doesn't mean they =
regressed,=20
it's just another step.</FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; My over-riding thought is that Jaz Coleman is now=20
infinitely more <BR>&gt; interesting as an individual than Killing Joke=20
are.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0080ff>Jaz Coleman is KJ's best asset and worst =
weakness all=20
in one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I=92m not going as far as selling my Camden ticket =
though.=20
Perhaps <BR>&gt; tomorrow <BR>&gt; I=92ll love the album.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0080ff>Perhaps.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20