[kj] GOT THE ALBUM/Maiden&Motorhead

Alexander Smith gathering@misera.net
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:22:13 -0500

So, after tirelessly rifling through every conceivable "import section" in
the bigger stores and every remaining specialty shop in NYC (their numbers
are dwindling like those of the great beasts on the African plain) since the
album's UK release, I'd come up empty, almost resigning myself to wait for
its proper release or try the Internet. Then, as fate would have it......

Walking up to Madison Square Garden to catch the Iron Maiden/Motorhead
(and...er..Dio) gig, I briefly popped into Academy Records on W.18th street
as a lark......when lo and behold......HOLY SHIT, THEY HAVE IT. I picked up
-- for a paltry 8.99 -- a copy of the US edition (must've been pawned by
some rock hack reviewer). "Bonus Track 11. Wardance". Apart from a cut-out
in the serial box, it's official (nowhere does it say "promo only, not for
re-sale"). I bounded up to the counter and purchased the fucker, somewhat
embarassed that I was purchasing a Killing Joke album whilst wearing a
Killing Joke shirt like Johnny Fanboy, but FUCK'EM!!!!!! IT's MINE!!!!

Now all I need are the UK and Jap editions! Yay. Expect my full review later
in this day.

Anyway, metal-haters can stop reading here.

Made it up to the Garden for the show. My friend Rob (Andreas Misera met him
back at the Churchill's Arms back in December 2000) managed to procure floor
seats, 7th row! Lots of meatnecked mooks in fading t-shirts, but a very
happy, friendly crowd all the same (a grand total of three out of a
googlethousand people raised their fists in approval upon spotting my Joke
shirt). First up? Motorhead (What's this?????? MOTORHEAD ARE ON BEFORE
DIO?????). No frills, naturally, apart from a big hanging backdrop of the
cover of their latest (??) album, HAMMERED, in the background (I guess they
weren't allowed to haul the big bomber lighting rig on this tour). Strutted
out, plugged in and blew a fuckin' hole in the back of the
auditorium.....living up to their credo: EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING
ELSE. Fucking IMMEASURABLY loud....I'm sure they could hear it in New
Jersey. Phil Campbell on guitar (now in the band for 18 years?!?!?!) and
Rickey Dee (ex of Dokken, I believe.....much to his considerable discredit)
on drums. Lemmy, looking a big older, but still the veritable Jesus of Cool.
Mixed bag of tracks for a relatively brief set, including: "Killed By
Death," "No Class," "R.A.M.O.N.E.S", "Metropolis," "Sacrifice," and
inevitable "Ace of Spades," and closing with a rousing sprint through
"Overkill". (What? No "Motorhead"?). Highlight of the set, Lemmy chastizing
the crowd for not responding approvingly enough to his invokation of Joey
and DeeDee Ramone. Bless'im.

Next up? Dio, apparently, prompting Rob & m'self to furiously scurry out of
the auditorium not only to secure beers for ourselves, but as a pointed sign
of disrespect to the diminutive b-list'er hobgoblin. I didn't mind the odd
Ronnie James Dio-era Sabbath track (notably "Mob Rules"), but his solo
career is fraught with so many moments of pompous ridiculousity that I well
up with shame knowing I was in attendance for this performance. We stayed
out in the corridors downing many expensive beers and fraternizing with the
metal congniscenti for the entirety of Dio's set, and that was no accident.
The hightliht of this portion: right during "Rainbow in the Dark" (there's
no mistaking that irritating synth riff), some Garden Security Gents
employed some severely entertaining "uneccesary roughness" on some hapless,
pie-eyed rowdyboy in a tye-dye shirt. Salut!

Next up? The main event! Maiden take the stage like wolfpack of Gestapo
after snorting a swastika of high grade cocaine off Eva Braun's comely
buttocks. "Woe to you oh earth and sea....." and the place fucking explodes.
Steve Harris shoving the business end of his bass at us like barrell of an
M-16, Bruce Dickinson leaping about like some fleet-footed hobbit on an
apparently very hot floor. All three guitarists noodling away (Why oh Why is
Janick Geers still in the picture? His ceaseless gymnastics really don't fit
the proceedings at all). Adrian Smith seems to be boasting a large
Freemasons patch on his leather waistcoat. Curious, that.

Basically a greatest hits set (with only a solitary new track played,
mercifully). "Number of the Beast," "The Trooper," "Die With Your Boots On,"
"Hallowed Be The Name", "Revelations", "The Clansmen", "The Clairvoyant",
"Iron Maiden," "Two Minutes to Midnight" and the inevitable "Run To the
Hills". I'm sure I'm forgetting one track or another, but you get the
picture. No big omissions (though I'd quite like to have heard "Aces High"
and "Wasted Years", personally).

Multiple backdrops depicting various Derek Riggs covers of Eddie in all his
grim finery make the rounds. During "Iron Maiden," a hilarious giant Eddie
emerges, giggling maniacally as his head pops open and brain is lowered in
full, gloriously over the top Spinal Tap stylee.

Anyway, there you have a it. A splendid time had by all. So fuck all this
shit, I'm off to emerse myself in the new Joke album (oh, excuse me.....K I
L LING  JOK E, if the spine would have me say it).

Alex in NYC