[kj] BTATS origins

gathering@misera.net gathering@misera.net
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:18:15 EDT

--part1_191.1d48c99e.2c5a1cb7_boundary

In a message dated 30/07/03 23:40:51 Pacific Daylight Time,
john_paul_owens@hotmail.com writes:

> "Another weak point is the interpretation of the quotation from the Indian
> scripture Bhagavad-Gita which Robert Oppenheimer, the father of the atom
> bomb, reportedly used after witnessing the first atomic blast. Originally,
> the quote meant the universe is infinitely diverse, and if a thousand suns
> flash in the sky at the same time, it may reflect a close picture of the
> spirit of the infinity of the universe, which is difficult to comprehend.
>   According to the book, "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" by Robert Jungk,
> Oppenheimer did quote the metaphor of a thousand suns. "Yet, when the
> sinister and gigantic cloud rose up in the far distance over Point Zero, he
> was reminded of another line from that source: I am become Death, the
> shatterer." The first part of the quote is a kind of philosophical view of
> the mystery of the universe that a physicist can interpret as a version of
> the Heisenberg principle of the dynamics of the observer and the observed;
> the second part is the practical destructive aspect of the scientific
> discovery."

   BLIMEY!

   Jel

--part1_191.1d48c99e.2c5a1cb7_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 30/07/03 23:40:51 Pacific Daylight=20=
Time, john_paul_owens@hotmail.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">"Another weak point is the inte=
rpretation of the quotation from the Indian <BR>
scripture Bhagavad-Gita which Robert Oppenheimer, the father of the atom <BR=

bomb, reportedly used after witnessing the first atomic blast. Originally, <=

the quote meant the universe is infinitely diverse, and if a thousand suns <=

flash in the sky at the same time, it may reflect a close picture of the <BR=

spirit of the infinity of the universe, which is difficult to comprehend.<BR=

&nbsp; According to the book, "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" by Robert Jung=
k, <BR>
Oppenheimer did quote the metaphor of a thousand suns. "Yet, when the <BR>
sinister and gigantic cloud rose up in the far distance over Point Zero, he=20=
<BR>
was reminded of another line from that source: I am become Death, the <BR>
shatterer." The first part of the quote is a kind of philosophical view of <=

the mystery of the universe that a physicist can interpret as a version of <=

the Heisenberg principle of the dynamics of the observer and the observed; <=

the second part is the practical destructive aspect of the scientific <BR>
discovery."<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; BLIMEY!<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jel</FONT></HTML>

--part1_191.1d48c99e.2c5a1cb7_boundary--