[kj] This ought to send Jaz off on a rampage

Phillipps Marc gathering@misera.net
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:55:20 +0100

>> Today's fun story from Iraq involved troops kidnapping Iraqi officers
wives
>> and children until they hand themselves in . . .

>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54345-2003Jul27.html

Following on from this, I've done a bit of digging around . . .

Geneva convention IV (article 31-34)

"Art. 31. No physical or moral coercion shall be exercised against protected
persons, in particular to obtain information from them or from third
parties.

Art. 32. The High Contracting Parties specifically agree that each of them
is prohibited from taking any measure of such a character as to cause the
physical suffering or extermination of protected persons in their hands.
This prohibition applies not only to murder, torture, corporal punishments,
mutilation and medical or scientific experiments not necessitated by the
medical treatment of a protected person, but also to any other measures of
brutality whether applied by civilian or military agents.

Art. 33. No protected person may be punished for an offence he or she has
not personally committed. Collective penalties and likewise all measures of
intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited.

Pillage is prohibited.

Reprisals against protected persons and their property are prohibited.

Art. 34. The taking of hostages is prohibited. "

Say's it all really . . .

Marc.