[kj] new album - my thoughts

bluce ree gathering@misera.net
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:40:48 +0100 (BST)

--0-1716974245-1059496848=:23587

I wouldn't say I'm at all disappointed.  5 or so top notch KJ songs are definately not something to grumble about.  I agree with pr001 about Dark Forces (nice chorus though) and Total Invasion.  I don't know what I'm missing but the songs do seem to be pretty shallow and uninspiring.

I think it's a commercial decision to release an album that is so Kerrang-friendly and it's nice that they've got a settled sound now.  Loud crunchy guitars are always good.

However, this album doesn't feel like authentic Joke to me.  It's still miles ahead of everything else released this year though.

My hopes for the next one are this;

1)  Pick a drummer before they write the tunes.
2)  Pick just one bassist and make sure he contributes to the record - does anyone else hanker for the glory days of Revelations or even BTATS where the bass was a memorable and distinct part of the music in it's own right?
3)  Write the material together in a rehearsal room.  With all four people present!
4)  Colesy - artwork - nuff said.
5)  Geordie to drop the power chords and get back to the shimmering, harmonic dischords.  He never had to chug before to make a heavy guitar part.  As much as I was non-plussed by the Damage Manual thing there isn't a riff on this album to touch 'Sunset Gun'.
6)  Pick a decent single, maybe even appear in the video for it as well.
7)  When they play a tiny venue in london maybe they can let the loyal fans know about it BEFORE the tickets sell out.
8)  Don't let the record label release mis-labelled promo versions and whatever else.
9)  Let a Gatherer create the website.

---------------------------------
--0-1716974245-1059496848=:23587

<DIV>I wouldn't say I'm at all disappointed.&nbsp; 5 or so top notch KJ songs are definately not something to grumble about.&nbsp; I agree with pr001 about Dark Forces (nice chorus though) and Total Invasion.&nbsp; I don't know what I'm missing but the songs do seem to be pretty shallow and uninspiring.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I think it's a commercial decision to release an album that is so Kerrang-friendly and it's nice that they've got a settled sound now.&nbsp; Loud crunchy guitars are always good.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>However, this album doesn't feel like authentic Joke to me.&nbsp; It's still miles ahead of everything else released this year though.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My hopes for the next one are this;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>1)&nbsp; Pick a drummer before they write the tunes.</DIV>
<DIV>2)&nbsp; Pick just one bassist and make sure he contributes to the record - does anyone else hanker for the glory days of Revelations or even BTATS where the bass was a memorable and distinct&nbsp;part of the music&nbsp;in it's own right?</DIV>
<DIV>3)&nbsp; Write the material together in a rehearsal room.&nbsp; With all four people present!</DIV>
<DIV>4)&nbsp; Colesy - artwork - nuff said.</DIV>
<DIV>5)&nbsp; Geordie to drop the power chords and get back to the shimmering, harmonic dischords.&nbsp; He never had to chug before to make a heavy guitar part.&nbsp; As much as I was non-plussed by the Damage Manual thing there isn't a riff on this album to touch 'Sunset Gun'.</DIV>
<DIV>6)&nbsp; Pick a decent single, maybe even appear in the video for it as well.</DIV>
<DIV>7)&nbsp; When they play a tiny venue in london maybe they can let the&nbsp;loyal fans&nbsp;know about it BEFORE the tickets sell out.</DIV>
<DIV>8)&nbsp; Don't let the record label release mis-labelled promo versions and whatever else.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>9)&nbsp; Let a Gatherer create the website.</DIV>
--0-1716974245-1059496848=:23587--