[kj] new album - my thoughts

pr 001 gathering@misera.net
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:08:04 -0400

>From: Jelbod@aol.com
>
>In a message dated 26/07/03 20:22:35 Pacific Daylight Time,
>t23@mother.brap.dk writes:
>
> > It sucks and you know it.
> >
>   Yup, only one that does mind.

it doesn't suck. you suck. both of you. at the same time. you suck each
other.

no, it does suck in a certain helmet-cheesy sort of a way but i still like
it. certainly not this albums 'jana'.

i really hate the vocals on the verses of 'dark forces', i've decided. just
can't listen to it at all. he just sounds like a wanker.

but before i get too negative i have to say this album belongs firmly in the
success category. it sucks s. but what a tragedy that it took them so long
to get it out. i've plotted a graph of KJ album releases verses time and by
extrapolating i can inform you all that the next one will be out in 11 years
and 10 months, despite what geordie says. (my computer also informs me that
raven will be dead by then.)

the artwork is a disgrace and t he  s tupi d    ty pe    fac e    thi n g
b u   gs    me   to o. milk toast muthafuckas.

but for all it's shortcomings this is a proper balls-out we-rule-you're-shit
album. i played it to bev and she said it sounded like a bunch of old farts
trying to prove they could still rock which i thought was pretty funny but
if that is actually the case then i think they do indeed prove it.

grohl is a good addition to the band for both musical and commercial reasons
but i'd still love to hear what parsons could bring in a fully-fledged
creative role.

my local hmv (blackpool) has sold out already. i reckon this could be their
biggest charter to date. (my copy says promo too, btw.) i can see a lot of
metalers who didn't bother buying the single still being curious enough to
check out the album.

can't believe they don't credit raven on the cd booklet, only on the back.
all tracks glover the cd booklet says. ppppppft.

stand-out tracks for me are 'seeing red', 'blood on your hands', 'the house
that pain built' (don't know why this has gotten some stick, it's proper
geordie!), 'asteroid' (jaz must have seen 'deep impact' and thought to
himself ooh that's another way the world could end...) and 'implant'. don't
mind the rest but don't like 'dark forces' and 'total invasion'. bit
disappointed that the sample at the start of the latter is actually not a
real radio phone-in sample but just the managers daughter!!!

all in all fuck me it's a belter what can you say KILLING JOKE still going
strong 23 years on it's fantastic beyond words. we're all very lucky and
after putting up with so many false starts let's enjoy it to the full and
celebrate a wonderful return from a unique band.