[kj] the METRO album review

bluce ree gathering@misera.net
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:42:20 +0100 (BST)

--0-881701325-1059417740=:61590

I expect nothing else from journalists anyway.  Fair enough, they are entitled to their opinions and reviewing music is a very inprecise thing to do anyway.  I don't get pissed off, but I certainly don't credit them with any respect.

Some bands get great reviews across the board and it makes no sense.  Have you lot seen/heard that new band 'The Darkness'?  Now they are getting amazingly favourable press despite the fact that they cashing in on this whole retro thing and are musically the least inspiring thing I've ever heard.  I'd bet that anyone here could put together that kind of band because the ideas were already formed 20 years ago.  It's as bad as any pop idol/boyband act because it's just an easy cash-in.

The Coral... what is that about???  It seems to be more comedic than anything else.  Yet it's being lapped up.  I blame the whole 'Glastonbury' type listener.  They made Robbie Williams a successful and "credible" solo artist, they are responsible for the popularity of inexplicably evil musical criminals, and purveyors of blandness, such as Travis, Toploader and the Stereophonics.

I say chuck the new KJ in the cd player and bask in the smugness that comes with that rare quality of 'having taste'.

Rant ended, how splendid.

---------------------------------
--0-881701325-1059417740=:61590

<DIV>I&nbsp;expect nothing else from journalists anyway.&nbsp; Fair enough, they are entitled to their opinions and reviewing music is a very inprecise thing to do anyway.&nbsp; I don't get pissed off, but I certainly don't credit them with any respect.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Some&nbsp;bands get great reviews across the board and it makes no sense.&nbsp; Have you lot seen/heard that new band 'The Darkness'?&nbsp; Now they are getting amazingly favourable press despite the fact that they&nbsp;cashing in on this whole retro thing and are musically the least&nbsp;inspiring thing I've&nbsp;ever heard.&nbsp; I'd bet that anyone here could put together&nbsp;that kind of band because the&nbsp;ideas were already formed 20 years ago.&nbsp; It's as bad as any pop idol/boyband act because it's just an easy cash-in.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Coral... what is that about???&nbsp; It seems to be more comedic than anything else.&nbsp; Yet it's being lapped up.&nbsp; I blame the whole 'Glastonbury' type listener.&nbsp; They made Robbie Williams a successful and "credible" solo artist, they are responsible for the popularity of inexplicably evil musical criminals, and purveyors of blandness,&nbsp;such as Travis, Toploader and the Stereophonics.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I say chuck the new KJ in the cd player and bask in the smugness that comes with that rare quality of 'having taste'.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Rant ended, how splendid.</DIV>
--0-881701325-1059417740=:61590--