[kj] YEAR END POLL FOR '03

mattdunn gathering@misera.net
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:28:12 -0000

1) Your Name:

Matt Dunn

2) Your Age:

34

3) Are you married and have you any children?

Single (as of this year) with a son who is 3 and 3/4

4) I live here:

Nottingham

5) I've been a member of the Gathering since:

sparodically  for about 3 or 4 years. but have been in it for last 6 months.
am a bit of a lurker I'm afraid

6) What do you want for X-mas?

To have my son with me (but it's not going to happen)

7) Your biggest extravagance of the year?

Over £500 on a stag weekend in Berlin. Still feel the pain

8) Your biggest hopes for 2004?

To spend more time with my son

9) What was the last album you bought,why, and how is it?:

City of god soundtrack and Wreckin' Crew by The Meteors (it's a teenage
thang).

10) Not including the new Killing Joke album, what were your top five
favorite releases of the year?

 Off the top of my head:
The Real New Fall LP
Primal Scream Live In Japan
Tindersticks' latest
Don Letts presents The Mighty Trojan Sound
Alabama 3 Live In Dublin

11) What live bands have you seen recently. Did they rate?

This year:
Kings Of Leon (OK)
Alabama 3 (excellent)
Jane's Addiction (excellent)
Dandy Warhols (good)
Peaches (excellent)
Cramps (shite)
Tinderstiscks (absolutely amazing)
datsuns (good)
Polyphonic Spree (good)
Glastonbury  - various, but particularly liked The Warlocks
V2003 - shite. all of it

12) Worst music you heard all year:

Evanesence and any R & B rubbish

13) If I find out that the person I'm talking to is a big fan of Queen, I
lose all interest in talking to them (note: your answer need not be
restricted to music)

14) Band(s) most in need of reforming/touring/releasing new material:

No bands to reform as it is always disappointing, especially if you caught
them first time round.

15) Band(s) most in need of hanging it up and calling it a day:

Chili Peppers. Was once a big fan and now find them embarrasing

16) Albums most in need of re-mastering and re-release deluxe stylee:

None. I like my music to sound as it did when it was recorded as it means
more to me and reminds me of that period in my life. Case in point: the
added handclaps to the remastering of Never Mind The Bollocks

17) Most overrated music of the year:

Strokes, Coldplay, darkness...i could go on and on

18) Most underrated music of the year:

Killing Joke

19) Next to Killing Joke, my top five favorite bands/artists are:

Clash
Tindersticks
Nick Cave & the bad seeds
The Fall
Pixies

oh, and Queens of the stone age

20) Express your views on Killing Joke's presence on the Internet

It says a lot that the fan sites are better than the official one. Bring
back The Last Laugh!

22) Regarding the Joke, despite all the rumormongering, I'd really like the
following to happen:

Big Paul to rejoin and be part of the songwriting process
Failing that, Raven to get his share (anybody doubting his ability listen to
Dominator). From what I can tell, Youth had very little to do with the album
but got the credit

23) Did you get to see Killing Joke on this tour? If so, briefly explain
your reaction

Saw them at V2003. Shit festival but they were OK (though due to no Kelly
Osborne I had to suffer Athlete for a bit). Also saw them at Rock City and
it was much better, but they always disappoint me as I build them up too
much.

24) What would you have rather seen on the album cover, other than the red
Krusty Clown?

Reinterpretation of the jester from Turn to red single

25) Favorite track on the new album:

Seeing Red

26) Least favorite track on the new album:

Dark forces / You'll never get to me

27) Were it up to you to have chosen the first single, it would have been:

Seeing Red

28) Have you managed to see "the Year of the Devil" as yet? Your thoughts?

No

29) Outside of Andy Gill, who would you like to see produce the next Killing
Joke record?

Rick Rubin, butch Vig or Vic Maille (RIP) . actually, only the latter

30) Killing Joke track that best sums up the world today:

I confess i never pay that much attention to the lyrics, but Blood On Your
Hands seems appropriate

31) Have you bought anything from Malicious Damage yet? If not, WHAT THE
FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Yes 2 prints and a t-shirt. Currently saving for a clock (hi Mike!)

32) Goods you'd like to see made available on Mike Coles estimable site?

 i still want the previously discussed KJ mug

sorry have no more time - all the best everybody