[kj] OT: Are we still talking about Evanescence here?

Amy Moseley Rupp gathering@misera.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:52:23 -0600 (CST)

> *
> stand the lazy misappropriation of terminology that has undertaken usage of
> the "G" word. Just because a band *HAPPENS* to boast a sartorial penchant
> for black, that does not *AUTOMATICALLY* render them a "Goth" band.  The
> Police wore black in the video for "Roxanne".......are they goths? Thought
> not.

We all wore black in the 80s; are The Cure Goth?  Hmmmmmmmm.....
sorta yeah, sorta no.  In fact, black was so common that club
kids in the late 80s were called PIBs -- persons in black, and
got all kinds of bad rap laid on them -- devil worshippers and
animal killers and even a link to a mass murder here.  There
were three colours acceptable to wear to go clubbing:  black;
white; and denim.  NOTHING ELSE.

Now as to people who actually whitened their face and wore
black lipstick and pierced everything and wore metal objects
all over their bodies -- okay, THOSE we called Goth.  But
they didn't listen to anything I was remotely interested in,
and this phase preceded Nirvana et al by a good many years.

Try to think of it as any retro phase:  70s nights, Trash
Disco, 80s nights:  I mean, it's impossible to actually
recreate a particular period.  I turned in 1980 so kinda
missed out on the real 70s club scene, but I have a feeling
that at today's retro 70s nights, there ain't lines of
cocaine freely available, one-night stands with guys with
hairy chests and gold chains wearing Hugh Hefner dressing
gowns.... you know.  It's all faux; it's dress up.