[kj] YEAR END POLL FOR `03

Alex Smith gathering@misera.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:53:00 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3154679580_228789_MIME_Part

"11) What live bands have you seen recently. Did they rate?  In the last 3
months - NMA, Goldblade, Metal Urbain, The Damned, Machinehead, Therapy?,
Alabama 3, Turbonegro, Jane's Addiction, BRMC, GU Medicine, Dandy Warhols,
Marilyn Manson, Echo & the Bunnymen, Killing Joke and Giga-0. They all
delivered the goods, except Marilyn Manson who was just plain mediocre..."

Cripes! Jane gets out more than any of us!

Alex in NYC

----------
From: "Shadforth, Jane E SUKOP-UOIT/42" <jane.shadforth@shell.com>
To: <gathering@misera.net>
Subject: RE: [kj] YEAR END POLL FOR `03
Date: Fri, Dec 19, 2003, 9:41 AM

Not read any other responses yet - so apologies for any duplications.

 1) Your Name:  Jane Shadforth

2) Your Age:  35

3) Are you married and have you any children?   No & No

4) I live here:  Ashton-under-Lyne (Manchester) UK

5) I've been a member of the Gathering since:  erm - 2001 - I think??

6) What do you want for X-mas?  I don't do Xmas - 6 of us are going to
Athens to escape it as best we can.

7) Your biggest extravagance of the year?  Timex combined heart rate & Speed
& Distance monitor.

8) Your biggest hopes for 2004?  World Peace of course - not overly
optimistic though... and further KJ dates.

9) What was the last album you bought,why, and how is it?:  Future Ex-Wife -
Miss September, and it's bloody marvellous. This is Pete Spiby (ex Groop
Dogdrill)'s new band, and this has a lot of the magic I loved about Groop
Dogdrill.

10) Not including the new Killing Joke album, what were your top five
favorite releases of the year?  Future Ex-Wife - Miss September; Desert
Sessions 9 & 10; GU Medicine - demo; Giga-0 - There's No Excuse (Well - I've
gotta say that haven't I?); Therapy? - Scopophobia

11) What live bands have you seen recently. Did they rate?  In the last 3
months - NMA, Goldblade, Metal Urbain, The Damned, Machinehead, Therapy?,
Alabama 3, Turbonegro, Jane's Addiction, BRMC, GU Medicine, Dandy Warhols,
Marilyn Manson, Echo & the Bunnymen, Killing Joke and Giga-0. They all
delivered the goods, except Marilyn Manson who was just plain mediocre...

12) Worst music you heard all year: any Xmassy crap - I hate this time of
year.

13) If I find out that the person I'm talking to is a big fan of themself, I
lose all interest in talking to them (note: your answer need not be
restricted to music)

14) Band(s) most in need of reforming/touring/releasing new material:  Groop
Dogdrill, Creatures

15) Band(s) most in need of hanging it up and calling it a day:  None - they
are all entitled to get out there, play and enjoy making a living from
music. If I don't like them, I don't have to go and see them. They should
only call it a day when they stop enjoying it.

16) Albums most in need of re-mastering and re-release deluxe stylee:  Hmmm:
NMA - Vengeance might be interesting.

17) Most overrated music of the year:  The Darkness would be too easy a
target, at least they are getting up there and succeeding as a British rock
band doing their own music. I'm afraid the willingness of the British public
to lap up the pop idol / boy/girl band mindless, bland, pointless pop cover
versions will always piss me off a lot more.

18) Most underrated music of the year:  Hundreds of touring/gigging bands
who will never get a look in as long as the great British public continue to
buy what they're told to instead of checking out what's happening at their
local venue.  (I don't know if this applies to other countries too??).

19) Next to Killing Joke, my top five favorite bands/artists are:  It's a
struggle to narrow it down to 5, the ones that spring to mind today are:
NMA; Groop Dogdrill; Therapy?; Goldblade; the Damned. These are not
necessarily the bands I would listen to much at home, but the ones I enjoy
seeing most live.

20) Express your views on Killing Joke's presence on the Internet:  I
confess I don't spend much time looking, but the official site wasn't up to
much, and some of the fan-sites are a lot more informative. The best place
for info, however, is this gathering list.

22) Regarding the Joke, despite all the rumormongering, I'd really like the
following to happen:  Another album & tour - is that too obvious??

23) Did you get to see Killing Joke on this tour? If so, briefly explain
your reaction    Yes - most of the shows I saw were blinding, although there
were 1 or 2 off-days. I think though, one of the downsides of following a
band, is you get too critical when they're not quite on the form you expect,
and of course being tour-shattered yourself on some days lessens the
enjoyment.

24) What would you have rather seen on the album cover, other than the red
Krusty Clown?    Some of Mike Coles artwork.

25) Favorite track on the new album:    The Death & Resurrection Show - a
masterpiece live.

26) Least favorite track on the new album:    You'll never get to me - too
much of an anthem

27) Were it up to you to have chosen the first single, it would have been:
 Seeing Red

28) Have you managed to see "the Year of the Devil" as yet? Your thoughts?
 No

29) Outside of Andy Gill, who would you like to see produce the next Killing
Joke record?    Can't say I've given it much thought.

30) Killing Joke track that best sums up the world today:    Unspeakable

31) Have you bought anything from Malicious Damage yet? If not, WHAT THE
FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Clock # 20

32) Goods you'd like to see made available on Mike Coles estimable site?

33) Following the 2004 Elections, I'd like to see this man in the White
House:    Iggy Pop

34) Do you feel 'safer' now that Saddam Hussein has been apprehended?   No

35) Now that he's in custody, I would handle Saddam this way:    UN trial

36) Where is Osama Bin Laden:    Is this a trick question? We haven't got
him...

37) Have we seen the last of terrorism courtesy of Islamists on the
homefront (US/UK/EUR)? Unlikely, but neither do I think we've seen the last
of terrorism from NI.

38) Do you feel prepared for another such instance?    No - but I'm unlikely
to change my behaviour in fear of it. In the west we're still more likely to
get run over, or killed in a car accident than be the victim of terrorism.

39) Do you think Iraq had anything to do with the events of September 11,
2001?    No

40) Where were you/what were you doing on that day?     Working - until it
happened, then surfing the web for news.

41) Were you the next American president, your first act in office would be:
 start paying attention to the scientists' warnings about global
warming/coming ice-age etc which has to be more of a threat to the world
than terrorism?? and try to to something to turn things around.

42) Tony Blair is a: soon to be ex-prime minister

43) They want replace Franklin Delano Roosevelt's face on the American Dime
with the face of Ronald Reagan. What is your reaction: why??

44) George W. Bush is an idiot: True or False. Explain your feeling why you
feel this way. Support your argument: Either that, or good at acting as
one... I don't however trust the motives of him and/or his advisors, who I
suspect are more interested in the financial outcome of this war, than the
well-being of the people in the middle east.

45) Under which American administration was the world/your own situation
better off: Bush's or Clinton's? I'm sure it's not black and white, but I
don't think Clinton would have been so keen to march in stirring up a
hornet's nest.

::::END::::

--MS_Mac_OE_3154679580_228789_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [kj] YEAR END POLL FOR `03</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<BR>
&quot;11) What live bands have you seen recently. Did they rate?<FONT COLOR=
=3D"#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"> &nbsp;In the last 3 months - NMA, Goldblade, Meta=
l Urbain, The Damned, Machinehead, Therapy?, Alabama 3, Turbonegro, Jane's A=
ddiction, BRMC, GU Medicine, Dandy Warhols, Marilyn Manson, Echo &amp; the B=
unnymen, Killing Joke and Giga-0. They all delivered the goods, except Maril=
yn Manson who was just plain mediocre...&quot;<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></FONT>Cripes! Jane gets out more than any of us!<BR>
<BR>
Alex in NYC<BR>
<BR>
<BR>