[kj] KJ producer

Alex Smith gathering@misera.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:13:10 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3154677190_85011_MIME_Part

Having Steve Albini produce (oh, pardon me Steve, "record") a Killing Joke
record would be an insult to all involved. It'd be like having Tori Amos
produce the next Kate Bush record, or Tim Armstrong produce a Clash record.
Killing Joke are the master, Albini is merely a very zealous student. One
brief, fleeting listen to, say, "L Dopa" on SONGS ABOUT FUCKING reveals as
much.

That said, I find most of Albini's recording projects blunted and devoid of
spark or even the slightest semblance of treble. To my long-suffering,
wax-caked, bleeding, perpetually whistling ears, everything he helms is
reduced to a dull roar (witness his ham-fisted rendering of The Wedding
Present on SEAMONSTERS, burying the chime of the guitars in quagmire of
tuneless bass).

And....if reports are correct.....he's a dick.

Alex in NYC

----------
From: GregSlawson@aol.com
To: gathering@misera.net
Subject: [kj] KJ producer
Date: Thu, Dec 18, 2003, 6:41 PM

29) Outside of Andy Gill, who would you like to see produce the next Killing
Joke record? Steve Albini

Thanks--what an obvious choice! I'm sure he's a huge Joke fan.

--MS_Mac_OE_3154677190_85011_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [kj] KJ producer</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<BR>
Having Steve Albini produce (oh, pardon me Steve, &quot;record&quot;) a Kil=
ling Joke record would be an insult to all involved. It'd be like having Tor=
i Amos produce the next Kate Bush record, or Tim Armstrong produce a Clash r=
ecord. Killing Joke are the master, Albini is merely a very zealous student.=
 One brief, fleeting listen to, say, &quot;L Dopa&quot; on SONGS ABOUT FUCKI=
NG reveals as much.<BR>
<BR>
That said, I find most of Albini's recording projects blunted and devoid of=
 spark or even the slightest semblance of treble. To my long-suffering, wax-=
caked, bleeding, perpetually whistling ears, everything he helms is reduced =
to a dull roar (witness his ham-fisted rendering of The Wedding Present on S=
EAMONSTERS, burying the chime of the guitars in quagmire of tuneless bass).<=

<BR>
And....if reports are correct.....he's a dick.<BR>
<BR>
Alex in NYC<BR>
<BR>
<BR>