[kj] Jaz from DT- THIS MESSAGE IS BUNNY FREE

Akimon Azuki gathering@misera.net
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:03:42 +0000

Daily Telegraph
by MATT FRILINGOS

nevermind the joke
The release of influential UK post-punk rock act Killing Joke's latest album
has helped to heal some old wounds.
Believe it or not, Nirvana's classic, Come As You Are, from their album
Nevermind, comes frighteningly close to being a rip-off of Killing Joke's
'80s single, Eighties.
Killing Joke frontman Jaz Coleman said before the recording of the band's
new self-titled album, he got blind drunk with Dave Grohl backstage at a gig
and all was forgiven.
"He said `I wasn't the guitarist, I was just the drummer'," Jaz laughs.
The two agreed Grohl should have a go at playing drums on the new record.
"Our initial idea was to get our three favourite drummers on the record," he
says.
"When Dave heard it - him being one of our favourite drummers - he wanted to
do the whole thing.
"We got the guy from System Of A Down in for three tracks but we wiped them
all because Dave was infinitely superior."
Jaz, who is known for his psychotic stage performances and as the guy who
famously fled to Iceland in the late '80s, fearing Armageddon, has seemingly
mellowed a bit in recent times.
Since Killing Joke's last album, 1996's Democracy, Jaz has spent most of his
time working on classical music. He produced two albums for violinist Nigel
Kennedy and one for opera singer Sarah Brightman, conducted and composed for
the Prague Symphony Orchestra and had his own opera premiere at London's
Covent Garden.
Oh and he also acted in a movie called Year of the Devil, playing the devil
himself. Now that's more like it.
"I just finished doing the V2 Festival and we've just done 18 shows that
have been just explosive," Jaz says.
"We're now preparing for one year on the road. It's a wonderful experience
spending time with your band in its 25th year. They remain my closest
friends. The band is playing like I've never ever heard them.
"Things get better with age . more explosive than any record that we've ever
done before. I've done so much orchestra that I'm just really ready for
this."
Killing Joke are touring Australia in November. Though they haven't been
here since 1985, Jaz reckons the audience won't just be filled with people
on the wrong side of 30.
"Everything's been sold out and when I look at the fan base, there's
predominantly people who were probably about one or two when we put our
first record out, but of course we get some people who actually know our
history," he says.

"... If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."
Satchel Paige, baseball player, 1906-1982

Akimon Azuki's website: http://home.att.net/~herbatnik/